WesTexas

Just Starting Out

Greeting from Texas or rather - Howdy Ya'll. I'm just starting out because I couldn't find the quality I wanted.

I'm a bicyclist and everything is manufactured for racers not touring and site seeing riders like myself. I want some style and a certain English company has provided plenty of it over the past 100+ years but with a limited world wide market they've kept their specialty - bike saddles - and a few other items. All of their old catelogs are in PDF and they've certianly made some great products over the years.

Right now I'm making molded all leather seat bags that are designed to attach to the back of a bicycle saddle and custom dyed leather handle bar rap.

I created a PVC mold for making the ends, hand stitch the pieces and have experimented with various designs and looks. I'm still playing with tooling.

Thanks for any comments or ideas.

SDC13520.JPG

Tool'n and stitch'n when I'm not rid'n.

Chuck

WesTexas

post-12179-125656264574_thumb.jpg

welcome.gif , Chuck.

I really like the look of your bag and love the rounded sides on it! Very nice touch! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Crystal

very nice work.........keep the photos comming........

Nice job!

Welcome to Leatherworker. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

That really is a nice neat job. Is the brass fastening ring your own idea or one you have seen on an original bike bag. I ask because just this weekend I spoke to a lady in the UK making bags with a similar sort of fastening. She used a trigger clip to keep her bag closed.

Ray

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

The fastening system may have come from or was inspired by an early 20th century piece or how we kept a gate closed when I was a kid. I honestly don't remember.

I use brass brazing rod and aluminum welding rod to make my own rectangular keeps. A light hammering, a quick buff and some lacquer will give them a nice hand forged look. (This one is plane to match the rivets.)

The objective, besides keeping the bag closed, was to eliminate the potential failure that might be found in snaps, buckles, clips, etc. I'd rather ride than fuss with equipment.

That being said the clips that fasten to the saddle are used rather than a leather thong because of greater security and ease of getting the bag off and on. Even if one of the springs fails, the hook will hold the bag.

Still working on the mechanics of the site. Here's a picture of my four bags to date.

Bags.jpg

post-12179-125659654393_thumb.jpg

Hi... I'm impressed!! Very very nice work!

Kevin

Hi westexas,

can you show the inside and back of the nifty ring and strap closure you have on the bag. I was thinking that would be a really slick way to close some horse saddle bags I'm drafting.

I cant visualize the necessary attachment.

thanks

No problem. It will take a couple of days however. I sold the bags and am about ready to sew another one tomorrow.

The fastening system would work well on your bags. It's what I have on my panniers - bicycle saddle bags.

No problem. It will take a couple of days however. I sold the bags and am about ready to sew another one tomorrow.

The fastening system would work well on your bags. It's what I have on my panniers - bicycle saddle bags.

As promised here it is - but, I moved it out of here and into Purses, Wallets, Belts and Miscellaneous Pocket Items.