Sign in to follow this  
gmlechuga

round button

ok i am having a lot of trouble getting a round almost ball like button i saw on the sight where it said a good foundation will get the buttons round but how is it done thanks for any help i would like to try it with a pineapple knot.

Are you having trouble following the instructions or making it round? Ron Edwards has teh easiest instructions (IMHO) to follow.

If it is getting it round then when you are done making the button, put it on your anvil and lightly pound it with a hammer to make it round. You can start lightly and increase the strenght as you need. Just roll the button as you go. Yes, leave it on the mandrel or whatever you worked the button on.

Hope this helps.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

ok thanks alot i will try that on my buttons from now on headstall_and_bit_002.jpg maybe my terms are wrong i mean round knots like on the end of this headstall

post-8776-125924736215_thumb.jpg

ok i am having a lot of trouble getting a round almost ball like button i saw on the sight where it said a good foundation will get the buttons round but how is it done thanks for any help i would like to try it with a pineapple knot.

Alot of times I'll use electrical tape or athletic tape over my wall knot. I cut the tape tape in long thin strips and start winding it around the knot until I get the desired shape. If my knot is going to big I'll first build it up with a turks head and then use the tape to make it round or whatever shape I'm after. Sometimes I just have to use little pieces to build up one side or the top and/or bottom. Just remember the finished knot will look like your foundation so take your time and get it how you want it to look.

Best of luck, Mike

Thanks alot for the help i am going to have to try that thankyou all for the help.

You might also try 'floral tape' I get mine from the Wal-mart. I sticks to itself and doesn't have heavy glue like electric tape. Also you can shape it a bit to get it nice and round!

Vaya con Dios, Alan Bell