Sign in to follow this  
Storm

New Floral Designs

Both of these started out as pencil sketches on 5x7 index cards. Getting a little better ratio between the negative and positive space. Doing this, you understand how long it must have taken to perfect some of the florals and patterns that Al and Ann Stohlman gave to us. I wish I become half as good. Hope you like them.

Storm

Storm........those look great. I really like the center one. Can you explain the "negative and positive" space thing. I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Very nice, Storm. So how long between conception (doodling on the 5X7's) and what you're showing us here in the photo? Hours? Days? Months? Is this a depiction of an actual flower or is it a generalization?

Storm........those look great. I really like the center one. Can you explain the "negative and positive" space thing. I'm not sure I understand what that means.

In graphic design and layout they use the term "White Space" to describe the areas in which you do not find any type or images. In this case let's say that the negative space or white space are the areas in which you use your backgrounder tool.  If you have too much negative space then the design looks a bit spindly and unsubstantial. So the positive space contains the flowers, leaves, scrolls, stems and so forth. Now some of the early Spanish and European leatherwork was a style with lots more open space and it was delicate and open. What I am aiming for is a more modern style of western floral which came into being in the late 1920s to 1930s and for the most part carries on to this day. I want to try and come up with a variation on the modern western floral but with my own distinct look. Maybe I will get there and maybe I won't but I am going to try. Better to try and fail than to never try and never have the possibility of success! :thumbsup: 

Storm

Very nice, Storm.  So how long between conception (doodling on the 5X7's) and what you're showing us here in the photo?  Hours?  Days?  Months?  Is this a depiction of an actual flower or is it a generalization?

Hi Tim,

The time factor is not long for the most part. The idea for the center piece was sketched up around 10am and the completed design tooled on leather before 4pm. It depends on what I have to do and what cuts into the design time. The larger corner, piece five or six hours from the point I came up with the idea until I finished it. So in answer to your first question:Hours The flowers are from my own imagination. Even if you used a photograph it is going to end up being stylized, if you will, rather than exact. Now also take into consideration that even after I carved this latest version I can still see places where I want to improve or fine tune or tweek. 

Storm

Now also take into consideration that even after I carved this latest version I can still see places where I want to improve or fine tune or tweek.

About the only thing that my eye is really drawn to is the "curl" of the leaf on the upper part of the corner. To me it doesn't flow like the rest of your pattern does. Just my opinion of course. I'd be proud to put out a product even half as good as what you've done here.

Besides the wild rose and the hibiscus, what other flowers could normally be used in a modern western carving?

About the only thing that my eye is really drawn to is the "curl" of the leaf on the upper part of the corner.  To me it doesn't flow like the rest of your pattern does.  Just my opinion of course.  I'd be proud to put out a product even half as good as what you've done here.

Besides the wild rose and the hibiscus, what other flowers could normally be used in a modern western carving?

Well Tim I think that you could go with anything that tickles your fancy. I like Dogwood but anything where you can get the other foliage to work with it should be good. I have tried out Hibiscus but have not found anything that really talks to me yet. I always wanted to go back home to Hawaii and do leather and saddles with a local style to them like Hibiscus or orchids and ferns. A really nice California Poppy is also good. As in figure carving it is all up to your imagination. What you can concieve of and believe in you can achieve! If you want to see someone stepping out of the box look at Bobby Park's work. He marches to his own tune and does it superbly.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showuser=7682

Storm

Yeah, I've drooled over looked at Bobby's work on here. His rope cans are something else! Not to mention his other wise awesome carving of anything leather.

There is some real talent on this forum, I have to hand it to ya'll. I really appreciate all the sharing going on.

Yeah, I've drooled over looked at Bobby's work on here.  His rope cans are something else!  Not to mention his other wise awesome carving of anything leather.

There is some real talent on this forum, I have to hand it to ya'll.  I really appreciate all the sharing going on.

Tim,

I think the sharing that goes on helps us to be better at what we do and allows us to help other people all around the world to share and meet! It's a good thing.

Storm

you understand how long it must have taken to perfect some of the florals and patterns that Al and Ann Stohlman gave to us...

Nice layout, I'm liking it. Worth noting, A.S. admitted himself that some of his early work "left much to be desired", but he stayed at it. Mental note to self ... "mirror" image for use in Western hemisphere... :)