Sign in to follow this  
DaCodaBuchan

Mallet Grip

I have the wooden mallet from the Tandy Ez Leatherwork Kit. I am going to make a grip for it as my first project away from that box. I was thinking of making a six inch long piece and wrapping it around once. Sewing it tight and cutting the bottom so that it folds into a nice circle at the base. I was then going to just use a single big nail to tack it at the bottom.

What adhesive could I use to keep it in place? Does anyone have photos of a similar project?

I have the wooden mallet from the Tandy Ez Leatherwork Kit. I am going to make a grip for it as my first project away from that box. I was thinking of making a six inch long piece and wrapping it around once. Sewing it tight and cutting the bottom so that it folds into a nice circle at the base. I was then going to just use a single big nail to tack it at the bottom.

What adhesive could I use to keep it in place? Does anyone have photos of a similar project?

DaCoda, before you go to all that trouble, I would suggest in investing in a rawhide or poly mallet. As you get into serious work, I think you will find the wooden mallet doesn't have the weight or character to do what needs to be done. Then you get wrap that mallet and have something that would work quite well.

Terrymac

DaCoda, before you go to all that trouble, I would suggest in investing in a rawhide or poly mallet. As you get into serious work, I think you will find the wooden mallet doesn't have the weight or character to do what needs to be done. Then you get wrap that mallet and have something that would work quite well.

Terrymac

Having read up and decided that I do want a rawhide mallet or two I have now come to my ever present question: How can I make it myself? Is it possible to make a rawhide mallet by hand? If Tandy sells rawhide, and my hardware store sells quality dowels what would I need to do to make a mallet and then make the leather grip. What a nice mallet that'd be. I'll go google, I just wanted to update on my train of thought.

I'm sure it is possible, I just wouldn't have a clue how to do it. If you are thinking about a dowel for a handle, and I think I would be more inclined to find a hammer handle. Basket weaves and some of the larger stamps take a pretty good wack to look right. Don't think a dowel would last too long. If I remember right, there were some threads on making mallets, you might doing a search in the forums

I was going to try getting a nice rod of something a bit nicer than regular pine. Maybe Mahogany, just because this is as much an artistic piece as it will be my main tool. I was going to buy an 1.5" thick piece and plane two sides flat and then sand it to resemble a handle. Then I would stain and finish it. I am trying to find a nice chunk of lead to be the core, and how I will affix the handle and lead together, and then add the leather. I have one idea, but it's something better drawn that explained in words. Maybe a sketch today could help to explain it.

If anyone has more ideas on how to actually make the hammer part I'd love to hear them. What is the leather cured in? What do I need to do to it? Also, if I can find detailed instruction and a way to make this work I will be looking to buy just enough rawhide to do this. I don't think I'll even need a half side to make this and I don't have any other use for the rawhide so I may be looking to purchase it from someone here that sells in smaller quantities than Tandy.

Edited by DaCoda Buchan