UncleGeorge

sharpening beveler?

How do I sharpen one a these rascals? It's a Tandy #2 beveler.

sharpenbeveler.jpg

I use fine grit wet and dry sand paper that i get from the auto parts store. But you can probley find the same thing at a hardware store to.

Glue a piece of small piece of twine or ohter small rope the same side to a board and use the hand paper to sharpen. Then place some rouge on it and then strop.

You can pick up a decent set of jeweler's files at a hobby store or machine shop supply store for less than $20 that will sharpen LOTS of stuff. I like 'em cuz I can see what I'm doing in there.

Glue a piece of small piece of twine or ohter small rope the same side to a board and use the hand paper to sharpen. Then place some rouge on it and then strop.

Thanks, I'll give all a that a try.smile.gif

An easy way is to get a 'junior' hacksaw frame, take the blade off it, stretch some string between the notches, give the string a coat of jewellers rouge and away you go. Fast, effective and very cheap.Ray

UncleGeorge,

ClayB made an interesting reply to a topic I started, titled "Can the Craftool #8076 Edge Beveler's be sharpened ?"

From the photo It appears your #2 beveler is the flat bottom type, as apposed to a round bottom. So instead of round rod stock over-wrapped with wet/dry sandpaper, you would need a piece of square bar stock. I haven't checked this out, but you might be able to find hardened keyway stock in the size needed at a local hardware store. Failing that, try "keyway stock" on the Internet. Other possibilities might be Hobby & Craft shops.

To see the above mentioned topic, follow this route: Forums > Fabrication board > Leather Tools forum > (topic currently at top of page 2 ).

Sorry I'm a week late. Just saw your post tonight. Anyway, hope you get some help from this.

Todd