I have my gggg grandfather's sword and scabbard that is now over 200 years old. I doubt that anyone has ever treated the leather scabbard, and it is very dry and cracking. What is the best way to preserve it and keep it from degrading any further?

Thanks,

I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will know what to do. However, I would love seeing pictures of it, it it's possible. I love old pieces which have a story to tell.

Wow, a bona fide Anti-Q!!!!

As far as preserving the leather, if it's already cracking, it may be too late. I'd think some oils would do well to remoisten it, but at that age, I'm really not sure. One thing you can do is make sure it stays away from harmful UV light as much as possible.

I have my gggg grandfather's sword and scabbard that is now over 200 years old. I doubt that anyone has ever treated the leather scabbard, and it is very dry and cracking. What is the best way to preserve it and keep it from degrading any further?

Thanks,

If you do a search with google for conservator and leather you'll find many views on what to do and how.

I don't know, but I'm sure someone here will know what to do. However, I would love seeing pictures of it, it it's possible. I love old pieces which have a story to tell.

Here is a picture of the sword (the top one). It belonged to Vice Admiral William Parker of the British Royal Navy who was awarded a baronetcy for his role in fighting against the Spanish (who were allied with Napoleon).

Swords_RN.JPG

post-6001-1207587982_thumb.jpg

That is super cool! Deffinetly worth preserving if possible. Wish I had tips for you, let us know what you come up with.

Thanks for the picture, Tom. It really looks cool. I like old weapons, not only were they effective, they were also works of art.

For something of that age and value - sentimental if nothing else - I wonder about contacting a museum and seeing what they recommend. I am sure there is a whole science devoted to restoring and caring for artifacts and they would probably have solid information so you wouldn't risk inadvertently harming your sword and scabbard. Just a thought.

You might try contacting a museum and talk to the curator. They have people who preserve things for a living.

Hi

If you contact a museum they can tell you what they use. They restore "old" things for display and can probably advise you of the best method.

Johanne

Have you considered contacting the Royal Navy? They probably won't be able to tell you much about preserving the scabbard, but I'm sure they will be interested in knowing the sword still exists. If you are a direct descendant you may be entitled to the title, which must be good for business.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ferret, if only! "Thomas Banwell, baronet"! Has a good ring to it.

hi

you can contact the bavarian army museum in ingolstadt

sekretariat@bayerisches-armeemuseum.de

they have a lot very old stuff there..

johann

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ferret, if only! "Thomas Banwell, baronet"! Has a good ring to it.

The title is hereditary regardless of any change of nationality or citizenship, someone in your family is a Baron. Chances are you're at least an "honorable".

Always knew this forum had class icon10.gif

The title is hereditary regardless of any change of nationality or citizenship, someone in your family is a Baron. Chances are you're at least an "honorable".

Always knew this forum had class icon10.gif

My understanding is that the title could only be passed down to a male heir. After three generations no boys were born, and so the title was lost. Here is a pic of the gentleman.

Adm_Parker_jpg.jpg

post-6001-1207694972_thumb.jpg

You might consider submitting it to The History Detectives on PBS. It would make an interesting research item and maybe a good show.

A conservator at a museum would be best. I bet it will be some type of oil like Neatsfoot Oil. I used it back in the 60s and 60s to revitalize old leather (notice I did not say restore). The time period that this is from they may have been using Whale Oil on leather.

It will be interesting to hear what the museum folks say.

My understanding is that the title could only be passed down to a male heir. After three generations no boys were born, and so the title was lost.

I'm afraid you're right. The laws of Chivalry haven't moved with the times and are somewhat sexist. Nice to see the family still remember his achievments.

Hi folks- new to the forum, but I've worked on some very old (200+ y.o.) leather before- so here goes~

Once the leather has begun to powder, oils usually only wet it- but it continues o come apart. Generally, your conservator will use PEG- poly-ethylene-glycol (spelling uncertain- it's been a while!) to sort of "refill" the cells, and give them body. This is the stuff they used on all the bows and such from the Mary Rose.

I got my supply from the museum I was working for- and am uncertain if you can get it in the "civilian" market.

In any case, that is gorgeous! I would contact the Admiralty, just to see if they have interest in it's whereabouts. Unlike the Japanese, the Brits rarely force a reparation of swords...

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Robert

Hey Tom!

Besides being addicted to leather, I also have a thing for wood and my wife and I go to an 18th Century Woodworking symposium every January at Colonial Williamsburg. We have access to craftspeople, conservators, and areas of the property that the public seldom gets to see. I have never met a more knowledgable or helpful gorup of folks anywhere outside this site we all belong to. I'm sure that a call to CW would provide a wealth of information, not only on conservation, but also the time period during which your ancestor served.

Mike