Sign in to follow this  
JeffGC

Holster Press

I'm assembling a holster press, using a floor shop press. I'm using 1" 40 duro rubber, mounted to 1/2" aluminum. I have a question to those of you that are using a similar setup - Do you ever press a holster using the actual weapon? Isn't it possible to damage it? Obviously, using a dummy gun would be preferable, if available. You input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm assembling a holster press, using a floor shop press. I'm using 1" 40 duro rubber, mounted to 1/2" aluminum. I have a question to those of you that are using a similar setup - Do you ever press a holster using the actual weapon? Isn't it possible to damage it? Obviously, using a dummy gun would be preferable, if available. You input will be greatly appreciated.

I had some of the same concerns when I went from hand to pressure assisted forming as 90% of my work is using the real steel. I went with using a veenering vacuum bag for forming and bone right through the bag while under pressure.

Jeff from Boomstick holsters is a maestro with the hydraulic press and will probably have the answers you're looking for.

If you do a search there are other threads that address your question. In reading them I found that it is possible to damage a firearm with too much pressure. The butt area where you slide in a magazine is vulnerable as just a slight bend will not allow smooth extraction or installation. I have used vacuum food saver machine with good results other than a slight diamond pattern of the bags being imprinted into the leather which does smooth out most of the time with boning And a dummy gun is a good way to go unless they do not make the correct model. Some have made wood molds also but I am not a carver so I haven't tried that yet. This one I did for my bersa and made a belt to match awhile back.

Bersa_and_Belt.JPG

post-4868-126479464086_thumb.jpg

If you do a search there are other threads that address your question. In reading them I found that it is possible to damage a firearm with too much pressure. The butt area where you slide in a magazine is vulnerable as just a slight bend will not allow smooth extraction or installation. I have used vacuum food saver machine with good results other than a slight diamond pattern of the bags being imprinted into the leather which does smooth out most of the time with boning And a dummy gun is a good way to go unless they do not make the correct model. Some have made wood molds also but I am not a carver so I haven't tried that yet. This one I did for my bersa and made a belt to match awhile back.

Can you post a picture of the vacuum food saver machine (model #) you have and maybe a tutorial on how it can be used to mold holsters? I stared another thread on this and came across your posting. I am interested in exactly what machine will work and how it works

Edited by wwwrmbbladescom

I believe Jeff from Boomstick Holsters tried one (table top holster press) and he said it was completely useless for leather holsters.

Bronson

Edited by Bronson

I believe Jeff from Boomstick Holsters tried one (table top holster press) and he said it was completely useless for leather holsters.

Bronson

Take a look at these instructions on how to build a press. This probally would not work for leather but it would for kydex. kydex sheath press