rdb

Carolina's Shoutout...and region

EDIT: Bumped for the afterwork crew...ya never know.

It seems there maybe a few more craftsman in the Carolinas area, than any of us thought. Based on some recent threads, there may be some NC/SC/VA lurkers here on the Board, and I'ld like to see them pop their heads out a little more.

I'm not much of an organizer. If I give a party I have to invite 200 to get 10 to attend...lol.

But, if there are any of you from this area that would like to get together in some form, maybe we can start here. Maybe we could schedule time in the chat room, a get together at Zack's, visit each other's shops, a guild?, or just have this thread here to talk about our area, sales options, items particular to our area, etc.

From my experiences, we have a little of everything here, from saddles to woodturner's aprons, biker, lots of gun gear, etc.

I like suprises, so to find out there's someone just down the road apiece, would be cool. If there's some of you who ride, maybe a run come spring.

Anywho, you get the picture....Let's see if we can hear from a few of you. Don't hurt to try.

PS: If you "ain't from around here" feel free to jump in anyways...lol

Chesterfield County, South Carolina here!cowboy.gif

It seems there maybe a few more craftsman in the Carolinas area, than any of us thought. Based on some recent threads, there may be some NC/SC/VA lurkers here on the Board, and I'ld like to see them pop their heads out a little more.

I'm not much of an organizer. If I give a party I have to invite 200 to get 10 to attend...lol.

But, if there are any of you from this area that would like to get together in some form, maybe we can start here. Maybe we could schedule time in the chat room, a get together at Zack's, visit each other's shops, a guild?, or just have this thread here to talk about our area, sales options, items particular to our area, etc.

From my experiences, we have a little of everything here, from saddles to woodturner's aprons, biker, lots of gun gear, etc.

I like suprises, so to find out there's someone just down the road apiece, would be cool. If there's some of you who ride, maybe a run come spring.

Anywho, you get the picture....Let's see if we can hear from a few of you. Don't hurt to try.

PS: If you "ain't from around here" feel free to jump in anyways...lol

I was down your way yesterday from Oakboro , NC. When I was traveling down US64 I mentioned to my wife about your photo you have for your avatar and how cool it looked, is that your shop? I meet a guy in Siler City to pickup a backup machine (03' cast iron Tippman Boss and stand $500) and stopped by Zack's to drop a few dimes.

Statesville, NC here

Hey, Ronald, Rob, Wyvern! Looks like we may all have to meet up at Zack's one of these days. If anyone's passing through Chatham County, let me know, I'm generally in the shop, and the coffee is good.

Hey, Ronald, Rob, Wyvern! Looks like we may all have to meet up at Zack's one of these days. If anyone's passing through Chatham County, let me know, I'm generally in the shop, and the coffee is good.

Hello RDB,

We have spoken in the past (I have picked your brain with too many questions-LOL). Thanks again for all your help!

Not sure if I ever mentioned on this forum about a Leather guild we started last year in Charlotte, NC.

Here is a post I put out last Dec to the iilg.net. I would offer an inviatation to any/all to come to a meeting, even if you are just visiting,

Thanks

Tom

PS: Our next meeting will be 2/18/10

NORTH CAROLINA LEATHER GUILD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting Location:

Tandy Store - View Map

4424 E Independence Blvd #A

Charlotte, North Carolina

When: 3rd Thursday of the Month

Time: 6:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUR YEAR IN REVIEW:

I am happy to announce that our first year as a guild has been a success!!

We set out with some moderate goals and have surpassed them.

First and foremost, our membership started out as a fledgling 5 member group that has emerged to a steady following of at least 11 or more (on average) members showing up/contributing regularly to every meeting.

Some points of interest:

We have had numerous members contribute to Guild demonstrations, Scout groups and assisting new members with any projects they may have questions on.

We have held at least 2 competitive contests (with prizes)

We have started preliminary plans of starting affiliate NC Guilds in 2 other areas of State.

We have had demonstrations featuring Jim Linnell, Jeff Mosby and Bob Beard (Bob will be returning to teach 12/26 &12/27/09).

We have been working with/contributing articles to Hides to Art.

Future plans for 2010:

Plans are in motion to join the IFOLG and attend a show (2010 or 2011).

Increase our membership even further.

Have more leather demonstrations from master leather Craftsman.

Further promote Leather Craft in our area

Please contact me for further information

Thanks

Tom

Wow Tom! A lot sure has changed since last we spoke. Sounds like you've got a good thing going on down in the south...lol. Fill us in on those possible subsidary clubs when you can. Any newsletters/mailings, or websites?

Wow Tom! A lot sure has changed since last we spoke. Sounds like you've got a good thing going on down in the south...lol. Fill us in on those possible subsidary clubs when you can. Any newsletters/mailings, or websites?

Will do, just to let you know the other 2 areas that are looking to start up will be in

Asheville and probably the Triad (I believe this is closest to you).

There is a person, Steve Carter (Nice guy) that may have more information. He works

with Kevin Adams (Hides to Art Guy) www.hidestoart.com.

Hope this helps?

Tom

PS: Would like to get back up to Zack's have not been there in a while, let

me know when you/others may plan a trip..

I live in downtown Raleigh area.

Hey, Shadowsbane! It's nice to see newcomers in the area, Guess we're not quite a dying breeed.

So far, there's a half dozen in this thread, that's a good sign, but I'll bet there's at least a half dozen more.

Tom's info was great. It's nice to know that the TLC community is still working at things, and the hidestoart guys are great ( Between their shows out in Western NC, and the little demo at Zack's that I attended, their working it.)

For those people not in NC, it's a fairly big state. From the raleigh area it's two hours to anywhere. For someone to get to Ashville from Charlotte, or Wilmington to Ramseur, etc, it's a bit of a haul.

There's quite a few people who like to be involved with the TLC groups, and there's a lot of us who prefer a different tack. It'a all good as far as I'm concerned.

Because we're all spread out, it's like ships in the night. Some go to TLC, some to Zack's, some to both. Then there's the people that don't deal with either. Myself, I end up at Zack's once a week just about, if not more when a special need pops up. I'm half an hour away, so if you plan on going some time, I'ld be glad to lock the shop for a bit, and head on out. Come the warmer weather, I'll be on my bike. It's been pretty funny bringing home rolls of leather on the back of the harley.

If anyone is passing through Chatham, let me know. I'm in the shop most days, except for a store run, or a quick ride.

I'll be in the Carolina chat room for awhile tonite...y'all come on down

Hi Everybody,,, Ed from Beaufort SC here. I'll be at the Extream Leather Workshop in a couple weeks.