Sign in to follow this  
kk1992

Do These Look Like Good Prices?

i have been searching the internet adn have found 1 site that stands out. http://www.leatherunltd.com/?gclid=CLuIif_x2Z8CFRAHswodORKAGw... these look like pretty good prices to me... does any1 have a place that is better priced i could check out?

Click on the Ad links at the top of the page. If you see leather you like, but don't want all that much of it, look at Springfield - they will cut leather. And, per your other thread, if you'll be making sheaths, stay away from Chrome tanned leather; use veg tan. You'll likely want to use 8-10 oz leather for the sheaths. It's plenty strong/durable enough, and by the time you add a welt to a seam, you'll be looking at stabbing a hole through close to 1/3 inch even on the lighter leather- really close to 1/2 inch with 10oz.

I like the oak tooling leather shown, good clean "natural" color and that's a good price if the leather is good. But, in the end, I've seen pretty pictures other places and then received crap. So, I've been just paying the extra and buying it where I can SEE it.

I'll go ahead and be the jerk who says it out loud. Apparently, everybody loves Tandy, and to alot of people Tandy=leather goods. Not sure why. At one time, they had some stuff that I used fairly frequently. But seeing what they have now - at their store down the street, on Ebay, around here - I'm SO not impressed. You'll be able to tell when I'm getting ready to put a cheezy tin chunk of junk with some shiny plating on a perfectly good piece of leather... it'll be really cold that day. And no, sending a free "doodle page" with it will not make up for it.

Really?!?! ... $60 for a purse "kit" (as in it makes ONE) with holes punched so big I can park my truck there??? NOTE that the picture of that is nice, too. Their pictures are wonderful, and their catalogs are nice - both priinted and online. But I suppose mine would be too if I had someone else paying for it. You always see other leather companies talking about how they "carry the entire Tandy line" of stuff. Who knows, maybe I'll order something from them anyway.

My point is, it's best to see it for yourself. At the least, talk to someone you know who has ordered there (AND been satisfied). If you're going to go with a name, that name should be someone you know. "Customer service" is useless to me. I have a small shop and not much room to stock rolls and rolls of leather ... and I don't have time to wait for the hide to show up, wait while I send it back, wait for the "customer service" replacement to show up.

Oh, I'm sure this won't be popular, but one more thing ... I don't particularly understand the "B" or "C" grade hide. When the "A" grade is $1.00 more per foot, it looks like you're saving money. But every time you buy a side, you're talking about a diffference of $20-25 for the top of the line. Not worth $20 to me to have any problems.

Edited by JLSleather

They have some nice 'clearance' stuff. I saw a couple of things that were made where I could cut off the insides and tool a new cover. Their small pouches, we use to store our student tools, but we spent much more for them.

Thanks for sharing.

Go to www.zackwhite.com and check out our on line catalog. We have a toll free number and if you give us a call we will do our best to help you out.

Zack White Leather Co.