Looking for a product that seals like Acrylic Resolene, wears like it, etc., but has a matte finish. In other words, no shine at all. Not satin, semi-gloss, etc., but an actual matte finish.

Does such a product exist?

Thanks.

http://turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/miscellaneous-products.html

Scroll down about half the page and you'll find the Acryllic finisher...Comes in 4 types (and 3 sizes), Matte being one of them (I like the matte one loads :-)

Well, I got my shipment of Angelus Matte Acrylic Finisher in the mail.

I was really hoping that this was going to be a successful solution to my need, so I tested it out as quickly as possible. I'm looking for a solution for sealing dyed and burnished edges so that there's no bleed/transfer of the dye anytime in the near future. BUT, I want the edges to be matte. Hence my original post.

So, I prepared an edge, dyed with dark brown dye as normal and burnished. Then I marked two sections on the edge with pen so that I could test the difference between the Angelus and plain ol Resolene.

Drumroll please.......

Absolutely no difference. :(

Now, I will concede that this was nowhere near a scientific test. But, to my eye, there's absolutely no difference in sheen between these two products. There may be when used on the grain side of leather to seal painting, or elsewhere in some othere application. But, for my purposes, on the edges, it looks exactly like the same sheen as Resolene.

Back to the drawing board. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Savage

I airbrush layers of fine mist.

Any tips if you wipe it on by hand? I was looking at wiping it on with a damp sponge.

I've got some Angelus Matte and Satin acrylic finish on the way. I hope I can get a matte or Satin finish with those.

Have you used Fiebings Bag Kote? I've read that stuff does a Satin finish. But not sure how protective it would be compared to the acrylic finish.

I know I do not like that plastic look.

Any tips if you wipe it on by hand? I was looking at wiping it on with a damp sponge.

I've got some Angelus Matte and Satin acrylic finish on the way. I hope I can get a matte or Satin finish with those.

Have you used Fiebings Bag Kote? I've read that stuff does a Satin finish. But not sure how protective it would be compared to the acrylic finish.

I know I do not like that plastic look.

When I have wiped it on, I used a dauber and cut 50/50 with water. I only do that on leather I need to stay clean, especially if I'm doing edging and working with it a while after some portions have been dyed. It helps resist dust staining.

I have not used Bag Kote.

I was told the Angelus brand acrylics are thinner than Resolene but I haven't confirmed it myself.

I understand what you mean about the plastic look. That's why I airbrush. Let's the item retain the grain of the leather but it still protected. It's a detail I like. I've heard my gear isn't "smooth". And it isn't. My carry looks just like real leather! :spoton:

Edited by Shorts

When I have wiped it on, I used a dauber and cut 50/50 with water. I only do that on leather I need to stay clean, especially if I'm doing edging and working with it a while after some portions have been dyed. It helps resist dust staining.

I have not used Bag Kote.

I was told the Angelus brand acrylics are thinner than Resolene but I haven't confirmed it myself.

That sounds good if the Angelus is thinner. As I know if you put it on too thick, it can crack. I'll probably just use a damp sponge and wipe it on with that and let dry. I'll do some test pieces of the Matte and Satin to see if there is a difference. I'm also going to do test pieces of the different Angelus blacks. They have a special black 507 dye that has additional ingredients that allow the dye to penetrate hard and/or difficult leathers. I'm gonna test that as an edge dye since the Fiebings edge dye is too shinny.