Sign in to follow this  
jbradford

Memo Pad, Critique For Me Please

Well, I'm obviously still fairly new at this. This is about the 5th memo pad I've made. It is sized to fit in shirt front pockets. Sometimes I carry mine in the back pocket of my jeans.

PLEASE give me any tips/tricks to help me make these better.

Thank you! Also, you won't hurt my feelings. I take constructive criticism very well and I'm soliciting it.... Thanks again!

I hand sewed the leather by using a 3 prong chisel. I've read advice on finishing edges by Bob Park (excellent article) and tried to follow it. I used a light coat of conditioner, antiqued it, applied black edge coat, and followed with two coats of Acrylic Resolene. The edge coat must not have dried long enough because the acrylic resolene picked some of it up and streaked the acrylic finish some. Kinda made it a little "punchy" looking though and it's ok for this piece. I would not want it to happen again though.

Wade memo pad 002.JPG

Memo pad Wade 002.JPG

Memo pad Wade 003.JPG

post-8194-126628257224_thumb.jpg

post-8194-126628261395_thumb.jpg

post-8194-126628288012_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm obviously still fairly new at this. This is about the 5th memo pad I've made. It is sized to fit in shirt front pockets. Sometimes I carry mine in the back pocket of my jeans.

PLEASE give me any tips/tricks to help me make these better.

Thank you! Also, you won't hurt my feelings. I take constructive criticism very well and I'm soliciting it.... Thanks again!

I hand sewed the leather by using a 3 prong chisel. I've read advice on finishing edges by Bob Park (excellent article) and tried to follow it. I used a light coat of conditioner, antiqued it, applied black edge coat, and followed with two coats of Acrylic Resolene. The edge coat must not have dried long enough because the acrylic resolene picked some of it up and streaked the acrylic finish some. Kinda made it a little "punchy" looking though and it's ok for this piece. I would not want it to happen again though.

looks good. on the front inside the border area i would bevel the corners more. run the beveler all the way up into the corner so its touching both border lines. you will be able to smooth it out by overlapping the bevel area when you go against both sides of the corner with beveler facing each border line.

the basketweave looks great. each stamp is straight and crisp in the leather.

as far as edge dying i do this very last step. seal the project, coat the edges with gum trachum and burnish. then edge coat. less problem with sealer streaking the edge coat this way.

HI J Bradford;;

Good job on this piece J..I only see one place where the barb' wire is a little out of line (upper left) over all nicely done...I would use it with pride...

...DOC...