RonaldSe

Spur Straps With Conchos

My question is-----How do I attach the conchos over the button holes on spur straps? Is there a piece sewn over the button hole that the concho attaches to, or am I

way off in left field? Any information (or pictures) is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, George

My question is-----How do I attach the conchos over the button holes on spur straps? Is there a piece sewn over the button hole that the concho attaches to, or am I

way off in left field? Any information (or pictures) is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, George

This is your lucky day my friend! You can do it two ways. One way is to glue two pieces of leather together for the body of your spur strap and at the end of the body where it attaches to the spur button you leave un-glued. Should be the round part. You punch for the button on the inside piece and punch for the concho on the outside piece. It's a little tricky. This method though, pushes the concho out when you attach the inter piece to the spur button. I just finished two pair of straps using both method's i am describing. The first one i just mentioned looks kind of not so good. So, when i went to make my second pair i researched (looked at alot of pictures) and came up with this method. Looks better and is easier to do. Ok, go ahead and complete your spur straps. On the body where the concho will go, go ahead and punch for the concho. On the back side where you need to attach to the spur button, make another piece of leather that extends a little back behind the end of the body. Go ahead and punch for the button at the longer end and punch for the concho. You attach the extra piece of leather using the concho screw back. Use some lock-tite for the screw. This maybe as clear as mud. I hope not! Basicly, you are using a second piece of leather to attach to your spurs and it comes out with a cleaner look. I attached a pic of the straps with out the back leather for the button. I couldn't find the photo of the straps with the leather. Hope you figure it out. If not write me.

This is your lucky day my friend! You can do it two ways. One way is to glue two pieces of leather together for the body of your spur strap and at the end of the body where it attaches to the spur button you leave un-glued. Should be the round part. You punch for the button on the inside piece and punch for the concho on the outside piece. It's a little tricky. This method though, pushes the concho out when you attach the inter piece to the spur button. I just finished two pair of straps using both method's i am describing. The first one i just mentioned looks kind of not so good. So, when i went to make my second pair i researched (looked at alot of pictures) and came up with this method. Looks better and is easier to do. Ok, go ahead and complete your spur straps. On the body where the concho will go, go ahead and punch for the concho. On the back side where you need to attach to the spur button, make another piece of leather that extends a little back behind the end of the body. Go ahead and punch for the button at the longer end and punch for the concho. You attach the extra piece of leather using the concho screw back. Use some lock-tite for the screw. This maybe as clear as mud. I hope not! Basicly, you are using a second piece of leather to attach to your spurs and it comes out with a cleaner look. I attached a pic of the straps with out the back leather for the button. I couldn't find the photo of the straps with the leather. Hope you figure it out. If not write me.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!! I was beginning to think I had asked someone to reveal a leather craft secret. Your picture didn't come through, but I get the idea.

Thanks again,

George

Thanks for those patterns!

I have done them the ways shown and described here but have found that the will pull of easily. I have conchos made with a loop back and Chicago screws to to help keep them in place and on. Here is a picture of how I attach mine hope this gives more options to work with. With this method if you have brand or initails they will not turn on the straps either.

Mark

spur straps 032.jpgSpur straps-boys 014.JPG

post-9505-126679202827_thumb.jpg

post-9505-126679212629_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the information guys!! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif Jim thanks for the patterns too. Your style is what I had in mind, but now I'm going to have to try both styles.

A question for MarkB----where do you have your conchos made?

Thanks Again,

George (Ronald)

S & W Tack

Thanks for the information guys!! You_Rock_Emoticon.gif Jim thanks for the patterns too. Your style is what I had in mind, but now I'm going to have to try both styles.

A question for MarkB----where do you have your conchos made?

Thanks Again,

George (Ronald)

S & W Tack

George

I have wagesilver smiths make some and Ken Cureton make some too

Mark

Edited by MarkB

George

I have wagesilver smiths make some and Ken Cureton make some too

Mark

THANK YOU!

GEORGE