Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Kinda Of A Whats On Your Mind Thread.

Well I spent all day yesterday cutting, and trimming some of my newly aquired sofa leather and Now have a seemingly working rim of my new akubra.

I used an old fashioned curtain wire for the insert given that it's spring steel and remembers it's shape well. I waxed it first and then began just a running stitch which actually took me longer to do than a regular stitch would have if i had used an awl.

Anyway.

I am taking my time with this design as I have basically no idea how akubras are made.

I started a thread on this a few months ago and got no replies so I just decided now I have leather I didn't pay for I might as well risk trying to design it.

So, the rim is done, I am going to add the vertical section to this maybe tomorrow and cut the top out next week.

I am supposed to be working on a leather corset right now with hard 2mm leather to be ready for saturday night wearing. All edge bound and flat spring steel boning..

I should still get it done but...meh

Thought I would share thats all.

well, now what's on my mind is : what's an akubra?

At least I know now that I'm not the only procrastinator/find something else to do where deadlines are concerned!

An Akubra is an Australian outback style hat. Usually made of rabbit felt and pretty much 100% waterproof ... unfortunately, they don't come cheap :0/

Mine - just happened to have the camera handy as I read the question :)

My daughters cringe if I mention the 12 dead bunny wabbits it took to make this ;0)

25950_340550061672_686971672_4106269_1983883_n.jpg

Edited by McJeep

And in keeping with the procrastination aspect of the thread? I'm "supposed" to be finishing up all the winter work on my motorcycle but was saturated with wrenching so used up some scraps to help out a buddy of mine.

IMG_5856.jpg

post-7317-126705317418_thumb.jpg

Thanks McJeep!

Heres the current works, Now on hold for corset finishing.

DSC01377.jpg

post-7332-126745322596_thumb.jpg