LemonBall

Sewing welting into a seam

Hi,

In my quest to teach myself how to make baseball gloves, I have a question about sewing the welting into the seams in the glove's fingers.

Is there an attachment or machine that makes it easier to sew in the welting?

I've been using a Neel's Saddlery Model 5. It is a tank that plows through the leather but sewing the welted seams (on a curve) is really hard.

There must be a better way...

Anyone have any tips or trick for sewing this kind of seam?

Thanks,

Paul C.

Cut little nicks or V's in the welting at regular intervals to assist the welting follow the curve.

Barra

Hi Paul,

What you need is a welting foot with a cutaway back, this will make it easier to turn corners while keeping the welt in the tunnel of the foot. Contact Neel for the correct foot, and nipping the seam edge like barra says will help also. Most upholstery 101 books also give a good description of the process under the "making cushions" section.

Art

Hi,

In my quest to teach myself how to make baseball gloves, I have a question about sewing the welting into the seams in the glove's fingers.

I've been using a Neel's Saddlery Model 5. It is a tank that plows through the leather but sewing the welted seams (on a curve) is really hard.

Thanks,

Paul C.

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul C.

Paul, I don't know if a welting foot is available for your machine, which I'm guessing is a cylander bed. I use a welting foot with my old Consew, but if I'm doing a welt with my harness machine, I use a right sided presser foot. Set your giude to the width of the welt flange and the stitch will be right up to the cord.

Ian

Paul, I don't know if a welting foot is available for your machine, which I'm guessing is a cylander bed. I use a welting foot with my old Consew, but if I'm doing a welt with my harness machine, I use a right sided presser foot. Set your giude to the width of the welt flange and the stitch will be right up to the cord.

Ian

Thanks,

You're right, a welting foot is not available for this machine. Your suggestion should do the trick.

I was watching some video of baseball glove welting being sewn and it looked like there was an attachment that guided the welting between the pieces being sewn. Like an automatic feeder for the welting. Is this possible?

Paul C.

That sounds like a binding attachment to guide bias binding.Barra.That sounds like a binding attachment to guide bias binding.Barra.

These are three views of the welted seam that I'm trying to stitch.

Hopefully this will clarify what I'm trying to achieve.

The welting is 1/4" wide and 1/16" thick

Any other ideas?

Stitch.gif

Front.gif

Back.gif

post-6376-1207881478_thumb.jpg

post-6376-1207881490_thumb.jpg

post-6376-1207881499_thumb.jpg

Check with Ferdco, the model 5 uses the same presser feet and accessories as the Ferdco 440R Baby Bull machine. Neel's Saddlery may also have a presser foot to do the welting and his prices are very good.

http://www.ferdco.com/

http://www.neelsaddlery.com/

John

Edited by gunfighter48

These are three views of the welted seam that I'm trying to stitch.

Hopefully this will clarify what I'm trying to achieve.

The welting is 1/4" wide and 1/16" thick

Any other ideas?

ok, I was thinking of welting/piping, in which case you would need a welting foot with a groove that rides over the cord. If the welt you're referring to is simply folded over without a core, you would simply fold and glue the welt, cut little nicks along the length of the raw side (I use a single edge razor blade), glue it to one side of your edge - sew the other panel on and then invert your piece. You can do this type of welt without a welting foot. I use a center presser foot

foot.JPG

post-6120-1207916816_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

Lot of great information. I'm really grateful to the terrific folks here who are so willing to share their knowledge.

It will be a while, but I'm looking forward to posting photos of the results.

If anyone has additional insight, I'm all ears...

Paul C.