SunshineNative

Push Beveler?

Hi Ya'll. I am looking for a mysterious little tool called a "Push Beveler". I have spinal damage and at times tap, tap, tapping my beveler is impossible. I have heard of a push beveler, but have never seen one. At times I DO use my bevel tool in my hand, guiding it along with downward pressure. It is really uncomfortable and some days even that is impossible as well. I often wonder if there is a handle I could attach to my crafttool, or if there is something I could adapt to this use. One of the TLF managers suggested a "push beveler" and said she would try to find me one, but it has been several months and she has forgotten to look. So, here I am, hat in hand....

If anyone knows of one, knows what it looks like, or has suggestions for something I could try to adapt, I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks in advance for the consideration.

Dianne

hello there ,the Push Beveler will fine for beveling borders of belts but i don't

believe it will work for you when you are beveling around Letters or Flowers.

it did not for me. i m h o

Jeremiah Watt makes a push type beveler with a little wheel that rolls along (straight lines), and makes a checkered impression somewhat like a checkered beveler. Otherwise, I have a push beveler that I don't like and never use. You are welcome to it for the price of shipping. Let me know.

Dianne,

There used to something listed in LCSJ called the SpeedStamper. Basically it is a rotary shaft tool with an oscillating handpiece. They haven't advertised for quite while and my not be in business anymore, but you can buy handpieces and rotary shaft motors several places. The nice thing about that handpiece is that most any stamps I wanted to use would chuck right into it.You just apply downward pressure and it starts jackhammering the stamp. As it does that, just push it along. I got it a few years ago when I had rotator cuff problems and there were only so many hits at a sitting. The SpeedStamper was a lifesaver at that point. I could do most all of my beveling with it, and save myself for the single impression stamps. Beadlines were a snap. One guy told me he could use pear shaders pretty well with it also. I am sure checking around, you could find one like they used to make up the SpeedStamper. There are other systems used (the Graver systems for silver) that guys use and have the stamp shafts machined down. I have Jeremiah's wheel beveler and it is alright for long runs too. I developed some wrist problems with push beaders and bevelers, so those kind of tools aren't real user friendly to me anymore if I need to apply much pressure.

Check with Springfield leather about a 'easy beveler'. Basically it is a teflon blade that fits into your swivel knife and allows you to open up a swivel knife cut.

It has some good uses and is very cheap.

When my uncle sent me all of his old leather tools. In the box was an item that looked like an over sized electro-engraving tool. It would accept various leather carving tools on the working end. When plugged in and switched on the working end would vibrate much link an engraving tool. It could be adjusted to increase the amount of motion in the tip. It worked very will, but made a lot of noise, probably due to it's age. I went looking for it this morning, but could not find it in all the packing boxes. I think it dates from the 1950's. When I find it I will post the manufacture's information and some pictures.

BillB

Bill,

It sounds like you are describing a Burgess VibroTool. They show up on Ebay every so often and some people have reported some pretty good results. Being an electrical tool from a few decades ago, at least a couple got a pretty good charge out of theirs too.

Okay, Dear Bruce, and All Others,

Lets work on the premise that I am ignorant (bordering on plain stupid some days!) cause, I don't know what an LCSJ is or where to look for it!i am interested in exploring all of the possibilities mentioned and will spend some time pursuing the ebay angle as well. Thank you all. Will let you know what happens!

Dianne

Dianne,

There used to something listed in LCSJ called the SpeedStamper. Basically it is a rotary shaft tool with an oscillating handpiece. They haven't advertised for quite while and my not be in business anymore, but you can buy handpieces and rotary shaft motors several places. The nice thing about that handpiece is that most any stamps I wanted to use would chuck right into it.You just apply downward pressure and it starts jackhammering the stamp. As it does that, just push it along. I got it a few years ago when I had rotator cuff problems and there were only so many hits at a sitting. The SpeedStamper was a lifesaver at that point. I could do most all of my beveling with it, and save myself for the single impression stamps. Beadlines were a snap. One guy told me he could use pear shaders pretty well with it also. I am sure checking around, you could find one like they used to make up the SpeedStamper. There are other systems used (the Graver systems for silver) that guys use and have the stamp shafts machined down. I have Jeremiah's wheel beveler and it is alright for long runs too. I developed some wrist problems with push beaders and bevelers, so those kind of tools aren't real user friendly to me anymore if I need to apply much pressure.

hello there ,the Push Beveler will fine for beveling borders of belts but i don't

believe it will work for you when you are beveling around Letters or Flowers.

it did not for me. i m h o

Luke, I do bevel borders on my tool boxes and belts, pretty much plain lines I reckon, but I will have to practise and see what I can get to work. I am going to try the one Hilly has offered and see how it does. I am also going to try and find some of the others mentioned. What

did yours look like? can you attach a picture?

Thank you !

Dianne

Dianne,

Not Bruce but to answer your question... "I don't know what an LCSJ is or where to look for it..."

Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal....

LCSJ Website

Regards,

Ben

Oh Oh Oh... THAT is awesome! Thank you for the answer and link!!!!

Check with Springfield leather about a 'easy beveler'. Basically it is a teflon blade that fits into your swivel knife and allows you to open up a swivel knife cut.

I have one like this and I like it, I have used it in many ways. I call it my cheat tool.

I have one like this and I like it, I have used it in many ways. I call it my cheat tool.

I am going to try again to locate on their site. I ended up abandoning the search and going to appointments. Perhaps today I can invest a little more time and actually find one!! Thank you for the information!

Dianne

Hi Again Ya'll,

I have searched springfield leather site again and cannot locate the type of tool you are describing. Under "easy beveler" it shows and edger/beveler tool, for trimming, not the one I am needing for my tooling. I also checked under the swivel knife tools and could find no blades. Perhaps I really don't know what I am "talking" about. I have written a letter to their customer service. Will give them time to answer.

The other site, the saddle journal offered to sell me a advert for the next issue, but had no information on the speedystamper.

I need more coffee!!

:-)

Di

Hi Again Ya'll,

I have searched springfield leather site again and cannot locate the type of tool you are describing. Under "easy beveler" it shows and edger/beveler tool, for trimming, not the one I am needing for my tooling. I also checked under the swivel knife tools and could find no blades. Perhaps I really don't know what I am "talking" about. I have written a letter to their customer service. Will give them time to answer.

The other site, the saddle journal offered to sell me a advert for the next issue, but had no information on the speedystamper.

I need more coffee!!

:-)

Di

Di, you need to call & speak to either Kevin or Emma about these things. They are a discontinued item & are not listed on the site. Springfield is great, but they don't list everything, especially the small quantities and/or a lot of the discontinued or 'odd' stuff (this comes under 'odd' stuff). The call is free & they absolutely do not bite... Just mention that Kevin told the people on Leatherworker.net about this particular item.(I think it's a poly plastic, NOT teflon, & tell them it's used for beveling, is plastic & fits into a swivel knife barrel).

(Btw, if you want some snow, we have lots for the taking- free- just come & pick up, including a 2 story high icicle on the corner of our house...lol)

russ

Di, you need to call & speak to either Kevin or Emma about these things. They are a discontinued item & are not listed on the site. Springfield is great, but they don't list everything, especially the small quantities and/or a lot of the discontinued or 'odd' stuff (this comes under 'odd' stuff). The call is free & they absolutely do not bite... Just mention that Kevin told the people on Leatherworker.net about this particular item.(I think it's a poly plastic, NOT teflon, & tell them it's used for beveling, is plastic & fits into a swivel knife barrel).

(Btw, if you want some snow, we have lots for the taking- free- just come & pick up, including a 2 story high icicle on the corner of our house...lol)

russ

LOL. I will do just that thing when I get home this afternoon. Now, it is in the mid 70's and I have run the a/c MORE than the heater again this winter. I would love to trade weather for a few days!! My wolves have been in spring shed mode since late January.... !!

I wanna move to Alaska!!!

di

Di, you need to call & speak to either Kevin or Emma about these things.

Yep. Kevin mentioned he had lots of them on an old post of the same item. I bought a one at their store, and it was not out on the wall or tool rack.

I asked for one and they got them from the back. Cheers!

I contacted Kevin at Springfield leather and he replied:

Hi Harold,

I do have them… # is 114-43, and they run 1.79 ea.

Let me know if we can be of further help…

Thanks,

Kevin

So they are available.

SkipJ

I contacted Kevin at Springfield leather and he replied:

Hi Harold,

I do have them… # is 114-43, and they run 1.79 ea.

Let me know if we can be of further help…

Thanks,

Kevin

So they are available.

SkipJ

HAH!! Not only are they available, but I have 3 enroute!! Will let ya'll know how it works for me when I get 'em!! Thank you all for being the greatest group of folks I know!!!

Dianne, who is soaking up the liquid sunshine in Florida

Hi Sunshine, i found a web address and phonr number for the Speed Stamper. the phone number is 904 241 2980 web site www.speedstamper.com .

I tried pulling up the website www.speedstamper.com and it did not come up with anything at all.

I tried pulling up the website www.speedstamper.com and it did not come up with anything at all.

I couldn't get there either. It took a little doing. Just don't remember how I did find it. However, as a note to all, I did get the beveler that Hilly sent, it is awesome. I am not very used to it yet, will take some practice to become proficient I believe! I DID get the order from Springfield Leather, number 114-43, and guys, this thing is AWESOME! It fits into my swivel knife, is easy to maneuver and I only have one complaint! It is wide, and I did order an extra one, so I am going to grind it down to give me a smaller, less thicker one and the original for larger lines. Thank you all sooo much for the help! I really am enjoying the tooling I am able to do now!!!

Thanks again Ya'll,

Dianne