After using X-Acto knifes for years, I've decided to purchase a head knife. Osborne offers a #70 and a #71. Tandy has a few. I've also heard of other older manufacturers. Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Try this thread on for size.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1256&hl=buchman

Art

After using X-Acto knifes for years, I've decided to purchase a head knife. Osborne offers a #70 and a #71. Tandy has a few. I've also heard of other older manufacturers. Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff,

I highly recomend you call Bob Douglas in Sheraton WY. 307/737-2222. If you will tell him what you're doing and what your're looking for he can fix you up! The old Osborne's, Gomph's and Rose knives have much better steel than the new Osbornes or Tandy products. BB knives (Bill Buchman sp?) are excellent as are the new Dosier knives. They are all a little pricey but well worth the investment. Part of the trick to using a round knife is learning how to sharpen it and Bob can get you started there also. Old Osbornes are fairly frequent on ebay if you know exactly what you want.....

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Bobby - Thanks for the suggestion. Last year I bought a saddle stitching awl from Bob Douglas. The handle is a piece of work and the blade is incredible. It's a perfect example of getting what you pay for.

Jeff

Jeff,

I would suggest that if you pursue the "older" knives from Bob that you choose in the following order Rose, Gomph and then Osborne. I think the Rose is just a little better than the Gomph but either one of them are fine additions to your tools (just my personal preference). The older Osbornes as stated do have good steel in them.

Regards,

Ben

Bobby & Ben - I just spoke with Lee Douglas. She told me that they have older Osborne knives that Bob reconditions and sharpens. I'll try and get in contact with Bob later today. Thanks again.

Jeff

Edited by JeffGC

Anybody know a U.S. source for a half-round knife....or maybe it would actually be a 1/4 round knife rolleyes.gif Anyway, it is a round knife with only one point.

I found a British supplier but would rather not deal with international shipping and none of the searches I've done either here at LW.net or Google have really turned up anything.

Thanks,

Bronson

I don't know if you are looking for a knives like these or not but I have three of them and they are the nicest knives I have had.

you can contact him by phone at.

Steve Powers

(719)579-5096

He lives in Colorado Springs CO

Hope this helps.

Here are more knives of his.

IMGP1499.jpg

IMGP1340.jpg

post-9505-126771667645_thumb.jpg

post-9505-126771678799_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you are looking for a knives like these or not but I have three of them and they are the nicest knives I have had.

you can contact him by phone at.

Steve Powers

(719)579-5096

He lives in Colorado Springs CO

Hope this helps.

Here are more knives of his.

IMGP1499.jpg

IMGP1340.jpg

Bottom pic, right side is what I'm looking for. That looks very nice and, I suspect, out of my price range. Would you mind sharing what you paid for it?

Bronson

Bottom pic, right side is what I'm looking for. That looks very nice and, I suspect, out of my price range. Would you mind sharing what you paid for it?

Bronson

Bronson

I gave 175.00 for that knife and will not sell it but I know he has some of them made up.

Mark

Bronson

I gave 175.00 for that knife and will not sell it but I know he has some of them made up.

Mark

Thanks but as a hobbyist that's a bit out of my price range. I appreciate the info though.

Bronson

Bob Douglas, as usual, was a wealth of information. I purchased a "Newark" Osborne knife, Bob's large stropping board, jeweler's rouge and gray compound. With shipping, $205.