Higgy

Revised Satchel

I got some advice to try sewing more and riveting less. I did not totally refrain from using rivets but I used a lot less on this bag. It is a little larger than the ones I have made in the past. I like the edges on this one better than the last one I posted. Tell me what you think and what I can do to improve it.

DSCF6950.JPG

DSCF6952.JPG

DSCF6949.JPG

post-13448-126922172282_thumb.jpg

post-13448-126922176005_thumb.jpg

post-13448-126922180576_thumb.jpg

I got some advice to try sewing more and riveting less. I did not totally refrain from using rivets but I used a lot less on this bag. It is a little larger than the ones I have made in the past. I like the edges on this one better than the last one I posted. Tell me what you think and what I can do to improve it.

That's really nice! I was browsing your gallery too and saw your Tippman. Is it hard to hold the layers together when sewing the bottom corners of the gusset to the front & back panels? I haven't set my machine up just yet so any info on how to go about machine sewing my bags up is appreciated. I use 5/6 oz double shoulder. I bet if I go with a lighter weight/different cut it's not too hard, as of now the leather I use is fairly stiff.

-Andy

That looks professional-grade to me... I wouldn't change a thing! I'd be ecstatic if I could create or own a bag that nice. Congrats!

nice bag looks great

Dscott

Well done, higgy! Edges look better. That bag would look good with welting. Try that next.

Yes, that is the hardest part for me. I usually go one stitch at a time around the corners. Stiffer leather is more difficult. You just have to make the leather curve without cutting the corner. If the leather is really stiff, I just curve it enough for the one stitch and then curve a little more as I go. Using binder clips to hold it helps also.

That's really nice! I was browsing your gallery too and saw your Tippman. Is it hard to hold the layers together when sewing the bottom corners of the gusset to the front & back panels? I haven't set my machine up just yet so any info on how to go about machine sewing my bags up is appreciated. I use 5/6 oz double shoulder. I bet if I go with a lighter weight/different cut it's not too hard, as of now the leather I use is fairly stiff.

-Andy

Thanks! OK - what is welting? I will have to google it to find out.

Well done, higgy! Edges look better. That bag would look good with welting. Try that next.

Thanks, David. Did you see the picture of my sewing machine with the spool of thread with a plastic bag over it? Your suggestion works great!

nice bag looks great

Dscott

Thanks. It is 4/5 oz chrome tanned. I got a great deal on it at Tandy. I bought two whole sides for $29 a piece. The liner is suede splits about 3 oz.

That's a nice bag. What kind of leather is that?

Thank you!

That looks professional-grade to me... I wouldn't change a thing! I'd be ecstatic if I could create or own a bag that nice. Congrats!