Sign in to follow this  

I need to make a mag pouch that is flat on the back for a duty rig. Any tips on how to keep the back flat when I mould it?

Hey mdmorgan!

I don't know if you have access to the "Making Leather Cases" series by Al Stohlman, but he shows moulding cased leather over a wooden form of the shape and size of the object you're making the case for. You form it with a rub stick until the leather is tight down the sides and against the main board, and then nail all around the form where the stitch line of the case will be.

Once the item is dry, you can remove it from the form and stitch it to a flat piece of leather that has your belt loop(s) on it. You'll stitch through or over your nail holes so they will never show.

Hope this helps.

Mike

This is also demonstrated in 'The Art of Hand Sewing Leather' on page 28.

The Stohlman method described works very well, but is somewhat time consuming.

I have found that I can assemble and sew the pouch then wet it more thoroughly than we might do otherwise for the forming process. This makes the leather more flexible. A wooden mandrel of belt size can then be forced through the belt attachment and the back pouch panel can be forced flat against the mandrel. Insert the magazine (or dummy), complete the forming as the pouch dries. This also permits the belt attachment point(s) to be formed to belt size (width, thickness desired).

Drying time is longer due to the additional moisture used. If using a drying cabinet or convection oven the whole thing (pouch and mandrel) can go in together.