muerte

Hello From North Carolina

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I live in North Carolina and work in IT. I collect guns so making holsters was a natural transition I guess.

Only 2 holsters in and I have learned alot from trial and error and from this board.

I have been lurking for a few weeks since I decided to make my own holster for a new pistol I bought.

Before this I had never done any leatherwork so I looked at similar holsters like what I wanted and then headed up to the local Tandy leather and bought some 8oz leather and thread and made a go at my first holster.

I molded the holster part to the pistol then sewed it together. Cut it to fit the back and then attached it.

The molding was rather tight so I had to work the pistol in and out a bit to get it loose enough to be easily drawn.

I made another trip to Tandy and got some dye, sealant, one of the plastic burnishers and an edge beveler.

I dyes the holster after it was put together so it isn't covered that great behind the holster but it was a good learning experience.

Here are the images of my first holster:

gallery_14257_335_78737.jpggallery_14257_335_1410587.jpg

The next weekend I decided to make another holster that was a little better designed and cleaner cut with some additions like a thumb push and buttons to allow it to be a front or back pocket holster.

I made a template using autocad and cut and dyed all the leather before forming then I glued the holster pieces together and sanded then burnished the edges using canvas.

I redyed it and then installed the buttons.

I am much happier with this new holster other than where the sealant stuck together causing some tears when I separated the back from the front.

Here is what my new holster looks like:

gallery_14257_336_1317592.jpg

gallery_14257_336_320248.jpg

gallery_14257_336_2080915.jpggallery_14257_336_1352981.jpg

I am enjoying working with leather and have alot more to learn but so far so good.

Thanks,

Matt

Welcome to the site and keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Can't wait to do more work once I've moved and gotten settled in.

Now you're hooked. Have fun!

Greetings Matt,

I am new to leather craft as well. Looks good to me the untrained eye. Something I have been taught was to drop the leather piece to be worked into container of water of some type, let it soak until all the bubbles stop coming out of the leather, this is one way to ensure the leather is "wet" through and through. Take it out afterwards, place it on a non linen towel of paper towels, lightly dab off the excess water, wait a few till the leather is cool to the touch, get you a little spray bottle that mists water, and keep the leather "wet" or workable with the mistre while you are forming. I will post a pic on a new thread of my first knife sheath I finsiehd this week. Not much to look at but I am begining this as well. I really like your holster style, mind if I try a go on my G30? Keep it up!

I see that you're in Raleigh. Stop by the Tandy store in north Raleigh and we'll give you more help than you want.