Very nice work.....do you ever have a problem with the USMC black with Bag Coat rub off on clothing?

Yes, I've experienced problems with rub off. In the past, I have applied Bag Kote using a sponge dampened with water. I really wasn't sure if I was applying Bag Kote or water from the sponge!

On the two latest holsters, I applied reduced Bag Kote (thinned with 20% water) with a Paasche AUTF spray gun.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by JeffGC

For what it's worth, I was on the phone with Herman Oak today asking a couple questions about their leather. One thing the guy on the phone said is that he has several holster makers that make Law Enforcement holsters, and they all buy 9 - 9.5 oz. leather (9-10 oz). Not sure I want to buy anything that thick, but thought it was worth mentioning since your LEO friend mentioned the thickness issue.

lol

LEOs don't have to run around hiding their guns like us peasants though :whistle: No offense meant to the LEOs. Just saying folks are hoplophopbic unless you give them a badge or credential that makes them relax that you're "ok" to have a gun :thumbsup:

Yeah I bet the guy was just use to the thicker leather. I've made a couple of holsters from 8/9oz and that stuff just felt huge.

Jeff you did a nice job on the second version there. I like dickf's input in regards to your specifics questions raised by your buddy. You addressed things just fine.

FWIW: I'm a retired LEO, spent 35 yrs in uniform. I make a few holsters, mostly for LEOs. These are for plain clothes or concealed carry. I use 4/5 oz leather, doubled up...flesh side to flesh side. To me this gives me a firmer holster that retains it's molding better than a single layer of leather. I don't 'bone' my stuff, just mold firmly. Where I'm at the pancake holster has given way to the avenger style. For what it's worth again...this rig goes for $75 where I'm at..and yes. it's hand stitched. Mike

004a.jpg

Edited by katsass

Reaper,

I've just been using Kiwi Mink Oil inside and out on my holsters. Is the Justin Boot Cream okay for the inside where it comes in contact with the gun? I like a flat finish and am not sure which direction to go.

Justins Boot Cream will do this for you Bob. It will give you that flat finish like you see on MX and Biker Boots of old...

Reaper,

I've just been using Kiwi Mink Oil inside and out on my holsters.  Is the Justin Boot Cream okay for the inside where it comes in contact with the gun?  I like a flat finish and am not sure which direction to go.

It will not do anything to the finish of the gun and you can add coats as you like to keep the leather from dry rotting. Local Boot maker point it out to me a little while back.

Justin Boot Cream link

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

It will not do anything to the finish of the gun and you can add coats as you like to keep the leather from dry rotting. Local Boot maker point it out to me a little while back.

Justin Boot Cream link

To start off, I think your workmanship is excellent and so is your design.

As far as the price, it's a handmade holster and I don't think a hunderd is too high. Building one is a lot of work takes a lot of time and you/we should get paid for it. Seems like I get more orders for holsters than anything and I really don't enjoy making them but I'm trying to learn to love it.....LOL! Yeah, there are a lot of less expensive holsters to be had out there but I don't thinkk they're custom made.

I am not an expert on pancakes but I have made several and looked at a bunch and from what I have seen they are typically made from softer, thinner leather than a "normal holster. Some I have seen that are well used/worn by law enforcement types are actually really soft an pliable after years of use. Some of them are just barely a loop to slide on your belt and stick a pistol in. Maybe a little more comfortable than sticking the pistol in ones waistband or in your belt. It seems like the designs run from that idea to much more sophisticated like yours.

One thing I did notice about yours that I think may defeat the idea of the pancake is that the middle seam looks like it runs pretty much down the center of the barrel. I think that the back of a pancake holster needs to lay flat against the hip and the wings curve around to fit the contour of the body for comfort. With the seam runnning the way it does on yours it looks to me like the backside of it might be uncomfortable if you have it cinched down on your belt all day. The "lump of the barrel is going to be pressing against the hip all the time when the holster is worn. I think others have made similar comments about the design and shape. I also think that if you build it so that the back is flat and the front is the part that is shaped to the contour of the pistol it will stay open with the pistol removed so doesn't need to be made out of thicker stiffer leather. On the ones I have made I use a thicker piece for the back and a thinner piece for the front.

I know it's a drag when you bust your fanny trying to do a good job and "get it right," and then you get dog piled on for your best effort. But I guess unless some "expert," teaches us how it's supposed to be done we're just floundering around out there trying to figure it out on our own. Don't be discouraged, once you get your process figured out you're going to turn out some killer work!

I'll attach a pic of one I made.post-5340-050585600 1286454150_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Bill