Grizz

Tanneries

I like to actually go to a supplier to see and feel any leather that I buy.

Although I do get leather sent to me from the Tandy Leather shop in Montgomery, AL, but only because we know the manager well and trust his judgement.

Other than there I wont buy over the internet, even though I know I could get it cheaper.

Does anyone know of a tannery that is around my area...Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee etc.

I'd like the option to go to a tannery occasionally and choose leather.

How close are you to:

Curwensville, Pa -- Wickett and Craig

St Louis, Mo -- Hermann Oak

Chicago, Il -- Horween.

Those are the only vegetable tanners I know in the US. There may be some custom shops and vegetable re-tanners, but from crust to finished product, there are only three left. Horween also does chrome tanning.

Art

I like to actually go to a supplier to see and feel any leather that I buy.

Although I do get leather sent to me from the Tandy Leather shop in Montgomery, AL, but only because we know the manager well and trust his judgement.

Other than there I wont buy over the internet, even though I know I could get it cheaper.

Does anyone know of a tannery that is around my area...Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee etc.

I'd like the option to go to a tannery occasionally and choose leather.

How close are you to:

Curwensville, Pa -- Wickett and Craig

St Louis, Mo -- Hermann Oak

Chicago, Il -- Horween.

Those are the only vegetable tanners I know in the US. There may be some custom shops and vegetable re-tanners, but from crust to finished product, there are only three left. Horween also does chrome tanning.

Art

Art, he's not close to any of them, with perhaps St. Louis... (W&C is close to me- about 1-1/2 hrs away).

Grizz- I've had good luck with Waterhouse, who advertises on this site, + there is a 5% discount for LW members. You might try them & see how you like their leather- much, much nicer than Tandy's for the same prices. Their specials do change from time to time, though, so they don't always have vegtan specials. Check out their site & follow them till they have the vegtan on sale again.

Edited by whinewine

Art, he's not close to any of them, with perhaps St. Louis... (W&C is close to me- about 1-1/2 hrs away).

Grizz- I've had good luck with Waterhouse, who advertises on this site, + there is a 5% discount for LW members. You might try them & see how you like their leather- much, much nicer than Tandy's for the same prices. Their specials do change from time to time, though, so they don't always have vegtan specials. Check out their site & follow them till they have the vegtan on sale again.

Yep, all of those tanneries are a good few hours away.

I'll take a look at Waterhouse though, thanks for the info.