Sign in to follow this  
texasnewf

Snakeskin Inlay Sheath

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and a newby when it comes to leatherwork. I love all the projects I've seen people make and would love to aquire the talent to do similar work. My hat is off to all of you. I've been making plain sheaths for my hunting knives that I make and lately I started to get a little more fancy. Here is my rattlesnake skin inlay sheath I just finished a few weeks ago. Hope you like it or can give me some suggestions. Thanks,

Brads_RASP_Snakeskin_Inlay_Apr_2-2.jpg

The inlay looks very nice!What are you using for your stitching? From the size of the holes, it looks like a drill bit.

The inlay looks very nice!What are you using for your stitching? From the size of the holes, it looks like a drill bit.

Well it's not a drill bit but no far from it .. it's some kind of leather working sewing awl needle that I put in a dremell tool. I don't have access to a professional type leather stitching machine... I've done better stitching jobs than this .. was in too much of a hurry ... any tips or suggestions ?

On a Dremel tool?The problem with making a hole like that is that you are removing leather. In your case, a lot of leather, which is leaving very large holes. An awl sort of splits the leather open and then it closes back on the thread, holding and making a much less noticeable hole. Yes, it's a bit of an art, but you really need to do that if you want your stuff to look better. Also, a deeper stitch groove. (It doesn't look like you have one.)Some of the pros could probably dissect this sheath and give you a hundred things to improve. As I said in my first response, your inlay looks really good and I don't want to take anything away from that. There's a lot of art to leatherwork - even at the level of stitching things together. I think you've done a terrific job and am only pointing out a direction that might let you do even better.As for using a machine, the lockstitch produced by a machine is not nearly as good as the hand-sewn saddlestitch. A machine just lets you screw things up faster. I don't want to be too down on machine sewing, as I've seen some beautiful inlay work done with fine thread machine sewing.

Your work looks good. Very good start to inlaying.

I would recommend trying out hand stitching your sheaths. They will look a little better and construction wise will be very strong. It takes a little practice but is well worth it for this kind of item if you can.

Al Stohlmans book "the art of hand stitching" is pretty cheap but well worth it, that and a couple of relatively inexpensive tools and your well on your way.

Thanks TexasJack and MadMaxx for the feedback, I'm not sure what to use other than the dremell tool for making the holes in the thick leather ? Here is my second attempt at an inlay ... better stitching this time I think ... but you can still see those big holes there ...

Damascus_and_Rattlesnake_Skin_Sheat.jpg

Texasnewf, You could get about any kind of awl, even cut the end off a ice pick or use anything pointy to punch holes. It's best to use the kind of diamond-shaped awls to tap your holes but you can use whatever you have, then just order you up what you need. Tim Lively was using an old wore out drill press with no motor and a sewing needle to punch his holes, the main point is to not drill or burn cause once the leather is gone the hole cannot close.

Just about everyone starting out has a hard time with an awl. The secret is that it has to be SHARP! If it is, it will go through several layers of leather. (And right through your hand if you're not careful; the pain is bad enough but then you have to try to keep the blood off the leather.)Practice a bit before you try it on a sheath. Al Stohlman's book on Sewing Leather is well worth the price. It shows you tricks that will take the fear out of hand sewing. (Like, what do you do if your thread's too short.)

Bondurant, what you said "main point is to not drill or burn cause once the leather is gone the hole cannot close" makes the most sense to me so far and I now understand your point. I'll get a better looking stitch that way.. I'll have to try that trick in my drill press with a sharp point, I'll grind down an old small nail or something.. thanks !

Just about everyone starting out has a hard time with an awl. The secret is that it has to be SHARP! If it is, it will go through several layers of leather. (And right through your hand if you're not careful; the pain is bad enough but then you have to try to keep the blood off the leather.)Practice a bit before you try it on a sheath. Al Stohlman's book on Sewing Leather is well worth the price. It shows you tricks that will take the fear out of hand sewing. (Like, what do you do if your thread's too short.)

Thanks, I'll check out that book !

Think of the leather more like sponge. If you push a hole into a sponge after a while the hole will close up. Sure the hole will still be there but the thread will have the leather kinda shrink wrap it. After the leather closes it will not let air, dirt, or water inside the hole to rot the thread or leather. Good luck and I hope the drill press and needle works out for you. All this takes a bit of messing with but your well on your way,

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and a newby when it comes to leatherwork. I love all the projects I've seen people make and would love to aquire the talent to do similar work. My hat is off to all of you. I've been making plain sheaths for my hunting knives that I make and lately I started to get a little more fancy. Here is my rattlesnake skin inlay sheath I just finished a few weeks ago. Hope you like it or can give me some suggestions. Thanks,

Brads_RASP_Snakeskin_Inlay_Apr_2-2.jpg

A newbie you may be,but damn I like your work !It's better than what I'm doing.Keep it up!

I think plenty enough has been said about the holes.

The only other major fault I can see is maybe in the design itself and the cutting of the inlay.

The upper edge of the left side on the picture looks a little unevenly cut however, the width of the holes for the snake too might be too much.

You could try burnishing the inside cuts before stitching with some good hardwood, and the dremel would be fine for that on slow.

But the way the knife is pushed in, it's pushing out the snake by the ridge of the handle if you know what I mean. If the leather was better wet formed around the knife and the inlay a little thinner I think it would have been perfect.

Sorry to sound so critical, I do like it just giving my opinion of what I can see and trying to help.