hi guys,

I like to make belt loops in two sizes 1.5" and 1.25". I use a snaps on them and am never sure how long to make them. Abviously I need to leave room for the snaps and attachment so I need to cut them longer then the belt width but I keep guessing on how long. any rules of thumb you guys use?

Edited by rccolt45

For an 1.5" belt I cut my strips 5 1/2" long. I center my snap on the end of the loop. IIRC the measurement from the end of the rounded loop to the center of the snap was 1/2", but I can't be sure. I pretty much just eyeball it. You can see where I put them in this picture.

DLC3in1911006.jpg

For my holster loops, I use some of the "left over" leather from other projects. I cut it with a strap cutter into straps that sometimes are two feet long.

To make a holster loop, . . . I get out my little holster loop template, . . . my "half circle" punch, . . . a strap I cut the proper width. Lay the template down, . . . mark it with a pencil, . . . cut it with the punch (made from a wayward piece of EMT conduit I might add), . . . knock holes in it for the snaps, . . . edge em, . . . done.

Usually takes about 60 seconds each for total job unless I'm really tired.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks D,

May I ask how wide you make your loops? I have been using 3/4 but that looks too thing. Do you go as fat as 1".

thanks so much

Some time last year I modified my patterns for the two holster models that use belt loop attachments. I'm now using loops that are mounted with T-nuts and screws which allows the loops to be interchangable. I make the loops to the size specified by the customer, and I also offer additional loop sets in different sizes. Some customers also order additional loop sets in different colors. This feature permits one holster to be used with several belts of different widths.

As Dwight has stated, I cut straps using a strap cutter, cut to length required, punch and finish. I like to make up dozens at a time and have them ready to use rather than to make up each set during holster production. This saves time and improves consistency.

Thanks D,

May I ask how wide you make your loops? I have been using 3/4 but that looks too thing. Do you go as fat as 1".

thanks so much

Mine are 1" then my 1 1/2" round punch makes a perfect end with minimal sanding req'd.

. . . my "half circle" punch, . . . a strap I cut the proper width. Lay the template down, . . . mark it with a pencil, . . . cut it with the punch (made from a wayward piece of EMT conduit I might add), . . .

Dwight,

Since I am too cheap to buy proper end punches :rolleyes2:, can you tell me how long a piece of sharpened conduit holds up?

Thanks,

Dan