Sign in to follow this  
BigRiverLeather

2 New Head Knives Coming

I'm diving into the realm of head knives. I just ordered a couple from a couple of different guys that I dug up on this forum.

The first one I ordered was from Dewey Peters, a 4" "high carbon" blade. Excellent price on it, well under $100 shipped

I thougt I was set then, but I got a call back from Jeff Cook with whom I had left a message the previous day. Following him along on his website http://www.jcookblades.com/leather.htm I couldn't help myself and had to order one of his blades, a 3" gem like this

leather_03b.jpg

Though after ordering both blades I'm well over double my $125 target, I'll have two highly recommended blades to compare and contrast, as well as learn on. To say I'm pumped would be an understatement!

Edited by BigRiverLeather

Do you have a link for the dewey knives by chance?

I wanna get one or two of the Jeff Cook knives but gotta wait for a little more cash (spent the leather cash on Ed mauls lol). They arent cheap but then again I have heard nothing but good about them. Gotta let us know how it all works out and post some pics of your new knives once you get them.

Do you have a link for the dewey knives by chance?

I wanna get one or two of the Jeff Cook knives but gotta wait for a little more cash (spent the leather cash on Ed mauls lol). They arent cheap but then again I have heard nothing but good about them. Gotta let us know how it all works out and post some pics of your new knives once you get them.

Dewey does not have a website. At least I don't think so, I didn't think to ask him.

Here is his contact info. Real nice guy to talk to.

Duey Peters

P.O. Box 159

407 N. Bluff

Blunt SD 57522

Phone: (605)962-6227

dpeters@sullybuttes.net

I'm anxious to get both and compare them. I will certainly post pics when they show up, both are supposed to ship within a couple of weeks.

I just bought one of those Al Stohlman knives that are on sale at Tandy. It's a good looking knife, but not polished razor sharp out of the box. It says it only needs to be stropped to use it, but I think it needs a little fine stone work first! I made me a strop glued to a piece of wood and using some jeweler's rouge, and it's not shaving hair on my arm yet!

For the price, I figured it would be a good starter. But after finding this thread, I wish I'd gotten one from Duey! I sent him an email asking for prices and pictures. If I get any info, I'll post it here.

This is the one I bought yesterday, I only paid $49.99.

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/eflyer/1009-USA/35010-05.aspx

This is the wholesale link, so not sure if it will work without signing in. Anyway, it's the Al Stohlman Brand Damascus Medium Round Knife

Has anyone tried one of these?

I just bought one of those Al Stohlman knives that are on sale at Tandy. It's a good looking knife, but not polished razor sharp out of the box. It says it only needs to be stropped to use it, but I think it needs a little fine stone work first! I made me a strop glued to a piece of wood and using some jeweler's rouge, and it's not shaving hair on my arm yet!

For the price, I figured it would be a good starter. But after finding this thread, I wish I'd gotten one from Duey! I sent him an email asking for prices and pictures. If I get any info, I'll post it here.

This is the one I bought yesterday, I only paid $49.99.

https://www.tandylea...A/35010-05.aspx

This is the wholesale link, so not sure if it will work without signing in. Anyway, it's the Al Stohlman Brand Damascus Medium Round Knife

Has anyone tried one of these?

I'd be very interested to know if you heard back from Duey. It has been 4 months now since I ordered my knife from him. Many phone calls where I was promised he would get it out to me in the next couple of days.

I found the same knife at Tandy and picked one up. Yes, it needs tuning which will be a good learning experience for me. Now to find the right stone or maybe I'll go with a convex cut. $50 was to good of a deal to pass up.

So anyway, once I found that blade I got home and emailed Duey and told him I would like a refund as I was tired of waiting. I have not received a response from him. I guess I'll have to call.

On the other end of the spectrum, I did receive the blade from Jeff Cook. What a piece of art. I ordered a 3" with a swept wing. Turns out that it was not what I really wanted. The swept wing on that smaller blade made it tough cutting turns. Also, I must need some practice on stropping as it seemed to lose that "cuts like a hot knife through butter" edge and I could not get it back. don't attribute this to the blades ability to hold an edge, but more than likely my stropping and polishing on a whell which may have rolled the edge a bit. Not sure. So, I emailed Jeff and told him about my woes, both with wishing I had not ordered a 3" swept wing and the edge issues. He told me to send it back and he would make me what I wanted which was a 4", Which I did. I should be receiving my new blade any day now.

I'll be ordering a head knife in a week or two. I've had a great time keeping my knives sharp using an Edge Pro. I'm really hoping I can find a way to use it with a head knife. That system can give you results as sharp as you want with about 10 minutes practice. We'll see how it goes.

wow! talk about sticker shock on the tandy... it wouldnt be so bad if you didnt know/see the 'elite' price next to the 'gold' price... oh well... in my opinion, for $50 it's worth the effort and work to put the time into tweaking it, but @ $120... i think i would seek another option/brand/etc for a head knife... ymmv, guess i'll get off my soap box now, and be quiet...

eric

I've just ordered a 3.5" head knife from Jeff Cook.

Regards,

Jeff

I looked at the Tandy round knives and found them to feel very cheap. Very thin and........well they just don't feel good to me. I bought an old Clyde round knife from Bruce Johnson here on the forum and the quality is very good. Feels like a very nice knife.

The two are worlds apart and I would stay away from cheap stainless steel knives.

Just my opinion of course.

Tim

Hey everybody, I have a CSO that my wife bought for me back in about 82, and about 5 or 6 years ago she bought me a Tandy Al Stolhman Head knife. Since I am not the world's greatest at sharpening a head knife, I sent it to Dewey Peters and he sharpened it for me. It looks as if he had to change the cutting angle a good bit in order to get it shaped right to cut. It seems to me that as much as they charge for them that they would be sharp enough or at least ground to the proper angles to begin with. Since Dewey did his thing with it a few years ago I have been able to keep up with it better. If I was gonna buy another head knife, it would not be from Tandy. I do buy other things from them, but not cutting tools anymore. One last thing, I actually don't and have never used the head knifes very much, just have found it's often easier for me anyway, to use another type/shape knife. Billy P