MADMAX22

How To Make Simple Purse

Hey all figured I would post the pics I took when I made my last purse. Its simple design and most could probably figure it out but for the newer people or just the ones that like the look this should help in making one if you want.

Most everything you need as far as instruction comes from Al Stohlman's books "The Art of Making Leather Cases vol1" and "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather".

Overall I was happy with the design but there is one area I need to work on. The side panels if the tops were a little larger would not allow for a gap between the top flap and the edges of the side panels. If you look where I did the miter joints you will see if I made the side panels the same dimension overall then cut the joints it would get rid of the little space there. Hopefully you all understand what I am talking about. I will list how I did it and add the pictures in order at the bottom as I can never get them to show up properly in the thread.

1) I cut the pattern out, this I worked up on my own using the motorcycle fork bag basic shapes. Roughly if I remember right its about 3" deep, about 6" tall, and about 7" wide. Make whatever works for you.

2) I skiv the strap ring retainers down a little so they dont bulge any more then necessary. Finish the edges on these so you dont try and do it after you put it together. I stab my stitch holes then line them up on the side panels and mark the holes, then rivet and stitch in place not forgetting to put your strap ring in before doing so.

3) Now the side panels can be done a few different ways. The pattern I cut out as shown can be wet formed and the edges bent outward then that is stitched to the body of the purse. If a miter joint is used like I did on this one then they are trimmed and sewn as pictured. This is one area I need improvement. If your doing a miter joint do not use the extra material around the outside, just cut a normal oval like the inside pattern and miter it. This will make the body fit better at the top once done.

Anyways glue and stitch in the inside portion that acts as a stiffener and it makes the inside look better IMHO. Finish the edges at the top since it is easier to do this now rather then later.

4)Now add your clasp portion to the body of the purse before lining it with your lining material (if thats what you plan on doing). Once the liner is glued in mate it up to the side panels and mark off where you need to skiv for the miter joint. Do this now.

5)Stitch the front of the body portion of the bag now as pictured. This is easier to get to before you put the purse together.

6)Now glue in and stitch your side panels one at a time. Once your side panels are in and stitched carry on stitching all the way around for the flap of the purse.

7)Mark the clasp position and finish adding that now (this will depend on what type of clasp your working with)

8)Now edge your miter joint edges and burnish all edges that are left.

9)Add the strap of your choice. I just used a strip of leather the same as the purse for this one, finished the edges and attached using chicago screws so it can be replaced easily.

purse inst 1.jpg

purse inst 2.jpg

purse inst 3.jpg

purse inst 4.jpg

purse inst 5.jpg

purse inst 6.jpg

purse inst 7.jpg

purse inst 8.jpg

purse inst 9.jpg

purse inst 10.jpg

post-5781-127480435873_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480436706_thumb.jpg

post-5781-12748043743_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480438364_thumb.jpg

post-5781-12748043911_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480440218_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480441247_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480442358_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480443299_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127480444075_thumb.jpg

Thanks man nice job

Dscott

I really like the design/style. Good workmanship too. Now if I just carried a purse...

Aaron

Wow! What a great look! Thanks very much for posting instructions---I would love to try this one once I have some experience under my belt.

Awesome! I love the design You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys and gals.

Just a big thing to remember is this is a work in progress. I had my idea and started working with it and it has changed a little here and there. If you guys use the design be sure to try and see what works best for you and to improve upon it as you can. Ofcourse be sure to post your results.

One thing I found is that the side panels with backing piece only needs to be stitched at the top half of the circle, the miter joint keeps the rest combined with the glue in place very well. This saves having to do that internal stitch line which saves alot of time when hand stitching.However that being said if you do it this way it is guaranteed to last thru just about anything you could possibly throw at it.

Edited by MADMAX22