Hi all,

I bought a 3" mini bench grinder and have no idea what attachments I need to get for it for burnishing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ellen

I don't think there are any attachments for a grinder, I have seen many for a drill or drill press.

Depending on the spindle size, you might be able to put something together fairly cheaply.

The easiest solution would be to simply have someone turn you a wheel from walnut or cocobolo that you could replace the pumice wheel with. You would want it turned so that the side grain ran along the outside of the wheel though as the end grain doesn't burnish as well and will just soak up the wax, etc.

The other option, which would be slightly trickier is to have someone turn a spindle type burnisher (someone here does them, can't remember the user though) and have one end drilled out to put a nut or threaded adaptor into it that fits the spindle.

My guess is that a bench grinder will run too fast for burnishing.

Gary (leatherman1457) has begun making some drill attachment burnishers, which are nice. But I would not run it at the top speed of my drill for burnishing.

You can slow down a high speed grinder for burnishing by using a router speed reducer. You can get one at Rockler.com, search for router speed reducer. They cost $50.00. It works like a dimmer switch on a light.

You can slow down a high speed grinder for burnishing by using a router speed reducer. You can get one at Rockler.com, search for router speed reducer. They cost $50.00. It works like a dimmer switch on a light.

fortunately the mini grinder has a dial like a dimmer switch it starts at 0 and goes up to 10000. I ended up drilling the hole on my plastic slicker to make it bigger then I hammered it onto the pin u put the grinding wheel on...kinda goofy but it works for now...I ordered a flex shaft attachment too. It is a cord u attach to the grinder that has a small grinder on the end of it...havent gotten it yet though.