Sign in to follow this  
David

Uhh Ohhh

It has been a while since I posted anything, so this will be a first for me posting a problem!

Some weeks ago Jeff Cochran asked me to do an oxblood colored seat for his 66 chop that he just finished. When I saw it on the bike I thought it was too red..... but Jeff liked it so it stayed on the bike. How was I to know that the Oxblood dye was just as susecptable as black to rubbing off! This was my first "color" seat.

So, this week the seat came back to me looking terrible. At the rear of the seat the oxblood was rubbed off almost to the natural color. I should have taken pics for this post but I got right to work on it. First a complete cleaning with a deglazer. Then came the redye.... I mixed a special color to darken the seat to be closer to the bike color. This time a coat of neat lac followed everything. I don't like to use neatlac on bike seats because it can crack and peal, but I decided to give it a try; but I rubbed it in with a cloth rather than spraying it on. This way I used as little of it as possisble and left only a thin coat on the surface of the leather.

Here are some pics to show everyone the difference. The first pic not only shows a much redder seat but you can see the bike color here too. I think this will come much closer to the actual bike color.

Dave Theobald

Violent_(2_of_1)1.jpg

DSC_0004.JPG

post-5652-127643309172_thumb.jpg

post-5652-127643311171_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

Thats a bummer, hope the guy wasn't to pissed off. The refinished one looks really good though.

Wanted to add that is how I learned to apply my neatlac when I use it. 2 or 3 thin coats rubbed in they dont peel or crack. Takes a little longer but works better.

It has been a while since I posted anything, so this will be a first for me posting a problem!

Some weeks ago Jeff Cochran asked me to do an oxblood colored seat for his 66 chop that he just finished. When I saw it on the bike I thought it was too red..... but Jeff liked it so it stayed on the bike. How was I to know that the Oxblood dye was just as susecptable as black to rubbing off! This was my first "color" seat.

So, this week the seat came back to me looking terrible. At the rear of the seat the oxblood was rubbed off almost to the natural color. I should have taken pics for this post but I got right to work on it. First a complete cleaning with a deglazer. Then came the redye.... I mixed a special color to darken the seat to be closer to the bike color. This time a coat of neat lac followed everything. I don't like to use neatlac on bike seats because it can crack and peal, but I decided to give it a try; but I rubbed it in with a cloth rather than spraying it on. This way I used as little of it as possisble and left only a thin coat on the surface of the leather.

Here are some pics to show everyone the difference. The first pic not only shows a much redder seat but you can see the bike color here too. I think this will come much closer to the actual bike color.

Dave Theobald

I saw the new color on the bike today. It is a dead on match....and Jeff loved the look of it.

Dave

I saw the new color on the bike today. It is a dead on match....and Jeff loved the look of it.

Dave

Nice to see others dealing successfully with some of the issues that I've had... Most of my problems have been black on spike bayonet scabbards.. These get rubbed a lot on pantlegs, brush, rocks etc. and it was pretty embarrassing to see then come back grey or nearly natural

How does one avoid this issue to fix the color to the leather? It almost seems like some sides are more prone to this than others....

Nice work and good recovery!

post-15032-127654056934_thumb.jpg

Nice to see others dealing successfully with some of the issues that I've had... Most of my problems have been black on spike bayonet scabbards.. These get rubbed a lot on pantlegs, brush, rocks etc. and it was pretty embarrassing to see then come back grey or nearly natural

How does one avoid this issue to fix the color to the leather? It almost seems like some sides are more prone to this than others....

Nice work and good recovery!

All I can advise you is to try rubbing on some neatlac after the dye is dry. It will make them dry a bit shiney but it should help the crocking problem.

If Neatlac is not available, try Deft. This is a lacquer wood finish available in most hardware stores. Again rub it on with a cloth. Also Deft is available in gloss, satin and flat finishes.

Dave

All I can advise you is to try rubbing on some neatlac after the dye is dry. It will make them dry a bit shiney but it should help the crocking problem.

If Neatlac is not available, try Deft. This is a lacquer wood finish available in most hardware stores. Again rub it on with a cloth. Also Deft is available in gloss, satin and flat finishes.

Dave

How durable is the Eco Flow Super Shene? That's what I have at present, but I'm not thrilled with it... I started with Neat Lac and they talked me into getting this stuff and it's OK, but I'm still not convinced...

Thanks!

How durable is the Eco Flow Super Shene? That's what I have at present, but I'm not thrilled with it... I started with Neat Lac and they talked me into getting this stuff and it's OK, but I'm still not convinced...

Thanks!

In my humble opinion nothing in the Eco Flow line is worth wasting your money on.

LOL evillaugh.gif

Good thing I only got the 4 oz bottle to try it with.. I'll stick to my gut from now on. My Dad and Grandad used Neat lac for nearly 100 combined years of leatherworking and now I just feel stupid... blush.gif

I second the opinion on the Eco-Flow line. I have not ever had any luck with it. In fact when I did use the Super shene it actually cracked on me and left a horrible finish. Wyo-shene (Neat Lac) is the way to go.

LOL evillaugh.gif

Good thing I only got the 4 oz bottle to try it with.. I'll stick to my gut from now on. My Dad and Grandad used Neat lac for nearly 100 combined years of leatherworking and now I just feel stupid... blush.gif

No reason to feel stupid, what you will probably find is that Tandy no longer has NeatLac. They have a product called SaddleLac. Have not tried it, but you can find the original formula NeatLac in ads in LW&SJ. Or you can just buy Deft from your hardware store.

Dave