Sign in to follow this  
stetzoni

Cup Coasters

hello! i have been thinking about doing wedding present to my friend, i planned to buy some set of drinking glasses and thought to make some coasters under those so it would be very special to those two.any ideas? has someone done some like that before?

You could think about tooling the outer edge and maybe laser engrave the names and wedding date in the center. I have some coasters that I have made up that have maker's stamp in the center decorated with some tooling pattern on the outer ring area.

Here is some coasters I made a while back. Just made another 50+ for gifts from the belly portions of my hides.

736241703_BrfrG-L.jpg

Those are beautiful coasters, Particle. Nice clean work.

I always make round coasters, mainly because I have a press knife that cuts the circles perfectly for me! (I'd hate to have to cut them by hand). How about putting the couple's initials in the middle? Either stamped, or if you want to make them extra-special take the time to carve them.

Ray

Those are beautiful coasters, Particle. Nice clean work.

Ray

Thanks Ray - I forgot to mention, I got a lot of inspiration from Kate's beautiful seat covers and such she has listed on her Etsy. I don't have a lot of tools (just a basic stamp set from Tandy), but I was pretty happy with the way they came out. :)

Often when I finish a new chap order, I use the parts left over to cut coasters. We have a clicker and die for cutting. The die is a circle of 3-3/4 inch diameter. We've made them from veg tan saddle skirting as well and they tool real nice.

I would hate to have to cut circles by hand, it would be difficult to make them perfect each and every time. If any of you want I can cut some out and send them in the mail. Send me a message.

Hope no one minds me bringing up this old thread, but what do you recommend as finishes for coasters? I am thinking of making some as a thank you gift for someone and also they'd be a good candidate for "practicing" patterns and coloring. I hate to throw practice pieces out if they end up looking good... I'd rather have them at least look like something.

I am only used to leather cream with beeswax (much like what is sold in the US as Aussie) but don't feel confident that that would work well enough for a cold glass on a hot day...

Tips to things more readily available than the various made-for-leather finishes would be appreciated. I can't always get everything here and shipping from England can get quite expensive.

All I have right now is a small bottle of the Eco-Flow Shene and I am not sure that is a good choice either for something that is expected to get so wet. I bought it in the hopes of using it as a resist for antiquing.

Here is some coasters I made a while back. Just made another 50+ for gifts from the belly portions of my hides.

736241703_BrfrG-L.jpg

I have a question, i made a lil coaster , how long do you need to let the finish dry on it before using it ? i let it dry for more that 24 hours and after my mom used it the color started to run ! :(

Hope no one minds me bringing up this old thread, but what do you recommend as finishes for coasters? I am thinking of making some as a thank you gift for someone and also they'd be a good candidate for "practicing" patterns and coloring. I hate to throw practice pieces out if they end up looking good... I'd rather have them at least look like something.

I am only used to leather cream with beeswax (much like what is sold in the US as Aussie) but don't feel confident that that would work well enough for a cold glass on a hot day...

Tips to things more readily available than the various made-for-leather finishes would be appreciated. I can't always get everything here and shipping from England can get quite expensive.

All I have right now is a small bottle of the Eco-Flow Shene and I am not sure that is a good choice either for something that is expected to get so wet. I bought it in the hopes of using it as a resist for antiquing.

Something I've found works pretty well and is generally available is acrylic floor polish. I'll take a piece right up to the end of the process - tooled, dyed, edges slicked and polished - and then literally soak it in a container of acrylic floor polish. I let it sit in there for a few minutes, then take it out and put it on a sheet of waxed paper to dry for a day or so. The floor polish polymerizes and stiffens the leather a bit (not a bad feature for coasters)and gives it pretty good water resistance.

Hi, I was wondering how thick or weight they should be ?

i also thought about doing them based on peoples

leasure styles and for pratice and if they dont work

out , I will coat them in some pourclen gunk and use

them for skeet shooting.

Thanks Stewart

Edited by Stewart