Laplanderbags

Veg Tan Seam / Edge Binding

I've been looking for a while for one inch seam / edge binding that will work with a right angle seam binder. The edge binding would have to be close to matching oiled veg tan color and be flexible enough to work with a edge binder and be strong to be used on baggage. I've looked at double folded garment leather edge binding but have not found any that was the right color or weight. I've considered making it myself several times out of the thin veg tan I could find but finishing the edges on yards and yards of binding would take up too much time. the picture is of an example of what I'm looking for, its from an Japanese bag maker http://www.guu-watanabe.com that lists his edge binding as being veg tan.

burapachi5.jpg

If it were me I would cut my own binding material out of 2/3 oz veg tan leather. I don't believe that the exposed edge on the bag in the picture is finished. If I'm not mistaken it is just appears finished because it was neatly cut and has a finish on it. If that edge is really important to you you can fold your binding material so that the exposed edge on the outside is "turned". I wouldn't attempt to do that on the back because it would be nearly impossible to stitch. Leave the back side of the binding long and then trim it with an edger after you've sewn it on.

Hope this helps...

Bobby