IMG_1004.jpg

Man! It takes a while to sew a dual layer belt!!!

A very nice Rig.........

Hi Greg;;

that looks realy nice;; good work....Doc...

IMG_1004.jpg

Man! It takes a while to sew a dual layer belt!!!

Especially for a left hander, ey??

Just funnin......looks sweet...is it dual action?

"...is it dual action? "

Sorry.....a "double layer" belt.

"...is it dual action? "

Sorry.....a "double layer" belt.

Sorry, I meant the gun.....

It is a model 29 Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum. Yes, it is double action.

It sure does greg, I did one for a gentleman with a 60" waist a while ago. Your holster design reminds me of the "Slim Jim holsters for early single action Colt's like the 1851. Good work.

Edited by katsass

That is a great rig. My one and only belt, so far, took me two weeks to stitch up, working an hour or so a day. I was slower then, but it had over 560 holes. I want to do another one, but haven't gotten motivated enough yet.

That is a great rig. My one and only belt, so far, took me two weeks to stitch up, working an hour or so a day. I was slower then, but it had over 560 holes. I want to do another one, but haven't gotten motivated enough yet.

you get faster after you do a few, what is slow is when you do one with a single length of thread, i did a couple that way and decided splicing is ok.

I went with splicing from the get go. I knew I'd spend more time untying knots than sewing otherwise.

Update on the deer hunting rig: I entered it in our county fair, and despite the misgivings of some of the ladies taking entries, It won first place in the other crafts category, and best in show in all the crafts. I'm pretty stoked, as there were some pretty neat entries.

IMG_1039.jpg

Well done and congratulations. Can you please explain the splicing of the stitches to this newby.

Thanks. The double stitch, as you probably know, is done with a length of thread with a needle on each end. You are actualy crossing the ends. You go through the bottom side of one hole with one end, and then through the top end of the same hole with the other end. With that same end, you go back up through the bottom side of the next hole, and repeat, repeat, repeat. You can see that this would take a long piece of thread to go very far. When sewing a belt, I'll only use a lenght of thread short enough I can handle it. When I'm about out of thread, I'll stop and get a new length of thread and start sewing with it a couple of stitches back from the thread I ended with. After I pass the old thread, I'll cut the ends nearly flush and push them down into the stitching groove. I used waxed linen thread, and it seems to stay in place this way.

I like it! Just what I need to replace my Hunter that I use for my 6" Model 29-2.

Of course my OWB for my 4" for winter needs to come first. :yes:

IMG_0638.jpg

Here's a 4". I could probably scan and post my pattern if you'd like it. Just flip it over for right hand.

Edited by gregintenn

Update on the deer hunting rig: I entered it in our county fair, and despite the misgivings of some of the ladies taking entries, It won first place in the other crafts category, and best in show in all the crafts. I'm pretty stoked, as there were some pretty neat entries.

Wow, that's great news... Congrats!