JWGlover

Mesquite Wood

I live in South Texas where we have plenty of Mesquite trees, I was wondering if it could be used to make burnishers? What do ya'll think?

I suppose you could, as long as you can get it smooth enough and it's not too brittle.

If you have more than you need, ship it to me. I like to use it for grilling tasty animals! :thumbsup:

Kate

well mesquite has a great density on par with ebony, but it doesn't have the natuarally occurring oil that a wood like cocobolo (actually silicate) produces.

Used with a little wax, it will probably work.

Hi JW,

If you have some good size pieces, about 2" x 2" x12", that have interesting figure, I would be very interested. I would love to have some to make Maul handles out of. It would need to be solid. Maybe we could work out something good for both of us. If interested email me at : polarb1717@aol.com

Thanks,, Ed the"BearMan"

They'd be terrible. Please stack all logs out front and I'll swing by and remove that scrap wood for you :spoton:

Actually you can give it a shot. Most folks end up using beeswax and/or parafin when they burnish so the lack of oils becomes moot. For the last several years I've been using a burnisher I made from a cheapy dowel rod the home hardware store. Edges are easy to burnish with about anything when they are prepped right.

Y'all are all funny and full of info I'll give it a shot and see what I can make. Bearman, I'll see what I got that will work for you.

I've got about 20 acres of mesquite brush that I'm cutting down. Besides the obvious bbq use, I'm using mesquite as a burnisher. I have a pen lathe that I bought at a yard sale for $35.00. Speed adjustment and all. I lathed a 6" piece to work with various edges and it works just fine for me. I've burnished with just naked mesquite, beeswax and gum trag. Fantastic results. I'm also getting ready to make up some handles for some of my tools. I like the looks of the mesquite and the price is right.

I've got about 20 acres of mesquite brush that I'm cutting down. Besides the obvious bbq use, I'm using mesquite as a burnisher. I have a pen lathe that I bought at a yard sale for $35.00. Speed adjustment and all. I lathed a 6" piece to work with various edges and it works just fine for me. I've burnished with just naked mesquite, beeswax and gum trag. Fantastic results. I'm also getting ready to make up some handles for some of my tools. I like the looks of the mesquite and the price is right.

thanks for the info, nice to see another South Texan on here. Just wonderin where Mendoza is? Close to the border?