I'm new to the forum, in fact this is my first post here. I've been doing leatherworking for a short time now and I've become completely addicted to it as a hobby. It's amazing all of the things you start to realize that you can make for everyday use.

One of the things that has really really grabbed my interest lately is in making sandals and shoes. I haven't found a lot of information but the one book about sandals that I keep coming back to is the Sandal Making book available through Tandy. For shoes the book that I keep coming back to is from simpleshoemaking.com. I'm wondering if anyone else has any information they might like to share on making shoes and sandals. I'm not looking to make the next great leather dress shoe, what I'm looking for is simple designs that I can make and wear on a regular basis. During the summer I wear almost nothing but flip flops and so making sandals has really been something I've wanted to try here lately.

Does anyone know of any other ebooks or websites that have good information about sandal and shoe making? Or any online tutorials? I was thinking about making a fishermans sandal that I saw on simpleshoemaking.com but being a visual type person I'd liked to have seen more pictures of the finished sandal to get a better idea of what I'm supposed to end up with.

Anyway as a beginner any information the group might be able to steer me towards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris!

I haven't made any sandals, but some boots.. Not sure this will help you, but here are some suggestions:

As you say, there is always www.shoemakingbook.com.. You have seen their book "Simple Sandalmaking"? Maybe that is the same that Tandy are selling..?

Maybe you can find some info at "The Honourable Cordwainers' Company"? http://www.thehcc.org/ They too have an online forum.. And they have some old books about shoemaking that you can download for free..

There is also http://customcowboyb...dshoesforum.com

Hoping you can find some help! I have found that it's not that easy to find quality litterature on shoemaking. :( I was lucky to find a really good boot making teacher!

Good luck!

Rik

Hi Chris!

I haven't made any sandals, but some boots.. Not sure this will help you, but here are some suggestions:

As you say, there is always www.shoemakingbook.com.. You have seen their book "Simple Sandalmaking"? Maybe that is the same that Tandy are selling..?

Maybe you can find some info at "The Honourable Cordwainers' Company"? http://www.thehcc.org/ They too have an online forum.. And they have some old books about shoemaking that you can download for free..

Hoping you can find some help! I have found that it's not that easy to find quality litterature on shoemaking. :( I was lucky to find a really good boot making teacher!

Good luck!

Rik

You should check out the video's that are loaded on Youtube.com

Hi Chris!

Good luck!

Rik

I actually joined the Honourable Cordwainers forum the other day. Lots of good information there.

I also looked at the sandal making book on the shoemakingbook.com site. But $101 for a book on making sandals seems to be a bit steep, at least for me it is.

Chris

You should check out the video's that are loaded on Youtube.com

I've watched a number of them, but seems like most of the sandal making videos I've come across are for making string and rubber mat type sandals. I did come across a couple videos on making sandals from old tires. But I really haven't seen anything on there about making leather sandals. If I'm missing something there let me know.

Chris

Hello, I'm new here myself and also new to making moccasins. I have found some patterns by doing Google searches along the lines of "Chippewa moccasin patterns" and have found loads of interesting articles. I've searched various tribal groups and used different search terms, but it seems like once I start looking, it isn't too long before I'm on the right path. Many of the patterns I've found are more line drawings and descriptions of how you can take one or two pieces of leather and turn it into a moccasin; I've sewn some in fabric as practice and have been pleased with the result.

Good luck! :)

Search this site, I know of a flip flop how to and I posted some pics of my rendition of Jesus walkers. There is not alot out there but tandy has a e-book for sale originally from the 70's I think. I studied a lot of pics and disected them in my mind to get ideas also I don't know where I found it but came across a post from some monks that were a reprint of their sandal making process with hand written instructions and drawings, its on the web somewhere. good luck and post pics of your creations.

post-4868-085124300 1282311353_thumb.jpg

Search this site, I know of a flip flop how to and I posted some pics of my rendition of Jesus walkers. There is not alot out there but tandy has a e-book for sale originally from the 70's I think. I studied a lot of pics and disected them in my mind to get ideas also I don't know where I found it but came across a post from some monks that were a reprint of their sandal making process with hand written instructions and drawings, its on the web somewhere. good luck and post pics of your creations.

Thanks for the reply Jordan.

I did end up buying the tandy ebook on sandal making and it clears up a lot. I'll do a search online and see if I can find that information about the monks that you spoke of.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

If you happen to come across that post about the monks sandal making process please pass that along to me, I'd be interested in reading it.

Chris

www.builderofstuff.com

If I happen across it again I will post a link. It was two computers ago and some major data losses but in the meantime here is a pdf I threw together today. It is about 3.4 MB. if it works. Jordan, ps. Just tested it and it seemed to download ok!

Sandals Instruction.pdf

Edited by Jordan

I actually joined the Honourable Cordwainers forum the other day. Lots of good information there.

I also looked at the sandal making book on the shoemakingbook.com site. But $101 for a book on making sandals seems to be a bit steep, at least for me it is.

Chris

I've watched a number of them, but seems like most of the sandal making videos I've come across are for making string and rubber mat type sandals. I did come across a couple videos on making sandals from old tires. But I really haven't seen anything on there about making leather sandals. If I'm missing something there let me know.

Chris

Chris

Speaking on behalf of my book, Simple Sandalmaking, the $101 includes postage and is Australian Dollars, cheaper in $US, but if you want to start a business it's got everything you need to start, all sizes and patterns and instructions and hole placements are provided.

Tim

www.shoemakingbook.com

Please don't misunderstand, when I said $101 was a bit steep, I wasn't referring to the quality of the book or it's contents, simply that as a hobby that's more than I can really afford to spend on a book at the moment. I would love to have both books, especially the one on shoe making. The idea of making a pair of shoes from scratch seems absolutely fascinating to me. But sadly, at the moment, I just don't have that kind of extra cash, however I'm sure they are worth every penny.

Chris

Edited by builderofstuff

I started down the same path and then I decided to do the "Chinese Blueprint" method: I've bought about 3-4 different types of sandals and flip-flops and just tore them apart. Pulled apart stitching, cut with an exacto kife through the glue, reverse-engineered the straps, etc...

Don't over-think this. They're flipflops. You can go to thriftstores and pick some up for 3 bucks and have at it. Plus, once you've taken one apart that really fit you, there's your template. :whistle: