Sign in to follow this  
Aggiebraider

Burying Ends

Howdy Everyone,

So I have always struggled with burying my string ends successfully to where you dont see the cut off end, and it doesnt bunch up as you push it back through. I have tried using an exacto knife and pull the string as tight as I can get it then cut the excess off as close as I can get, so that when its loosened back up it will be hidden, but about all I was able to do was put cut marks in parts I didnt want to. Any advice or tricks on how to attractively bury ends would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CW

Under 3 strings and cut it with a nail clipper.

I hope your buttons are nicely rolled and taunt? For second and 3 interweave colors it's a little more tricky. I cut them as close as I can with my clippers and then take my fid and poke the last little bit under and roll again.

The nail clippers is a good idea, never thought about using those. I do roll everything and tightness is a problem I have but I have trouble not getting things too tight lol. I do go under 3, so maybe its because things are too tight and there isnt anywhere for the ends to move to....I dont know, thanks for the info though!

Another thing I am having trouble with my buttons whether to tie them on a mandrel and then transfer them to the piece, or just braid them on the piece. Im having troubles with both ways. If I do them on the mandrel first, I have trouble getting everything lined up just right and centered when I start tightening it up. Alot end up lop sided and not perfectly round. When I just braid them right on the piece, things get too tight and I dont have room to fit the interweaves in. Im really starting to hate putting buttons on things.

Does anyone have a good way to judge how much foundation to put down for a button? I made a leash and spliced 12 plait back on itself for the handle and put a tapered turnback button on it and the button turned out nice, but it doesnt completely cover the top of the foundation. I know that this is probably another of the "feel" aspects of plaiting, and with practice I will get better, I just dont want to have to take buttons off 2 or 3 times over the next year to get them right.

CW

I always braid my buttons directly onto my pieces. I use a fid with each over and under. I did try a mandrel, didn't work so well for me. All that string everywhere. Even so I still go back and tighten the button. That's why I use the center of the hide for buttons, so the buttons can be wicked tight. Course I broke many, many strings on finished buttons before I learned how tight was to tight.

As far as how many passes on the foundation...experience. If there is to much showing through I make another pass. Sometimes I try and skimp, that's why I learned how to do the 2nd and 3rd interweave colors...LOL

The interweaves are all snug and another pass I dont think would help. Its almost like the very top of the foundation is a little too long, and I need to make more of a "ledge" for the bights to sit on. Again, I dont know lol

CW

Howdy Everyone,

So I have always struggled with burying my string ends successfully to where you dont see the cut off end, and it doesnt bunch up as you push it back through. I have tried using an exacto knife and pull the string as tight as I can get it then cut the excess off as close as I can get, so that when its loosened back up it will be hidden, but about all I was able to do was put cut marks in parts I didnt want to. Any advice or tricks on how to attractively bury ends would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CW

I manufactured a small piece of Brass Shim micro in thickness ( Not quite sure what you caled it in the States .) tapered to fit under the strand you are cutting ( like a small cutting board )

Push the shim under the strand , pull the strand tight and use a scapel to cut across and at a backward taper .

The strand ( Kangaroo especially ) will recind back under the top strand never to be seen again .

Using this method you will never cut through the undelaying string and get a perfect bury

John

Howdy Everyone,

Thanks,

CW

I use cutical nippers. the edge is straight and will cut close.

DSC_0051.jpg

I use my fid as a shim (as described by Hollywood).

I also skive the ends to thin them down for the last tuck or two. I then push a bit of glue under the last tuck, pull on the string, insert the fid and cut it off.

Whatever works works.

I usually tuck the finish strand and start strands all the way under and nip them both at their perspective ends of the bight structures ie. ( Top and Bottom, or Left and Right Sides) depending on how you're looking at it. I will use a pair nail clippers, or a box razor, nippers I use with electronics, or whatever will give me a nice fine close cut.

Knot Head.

Perhaps you can post a picture.

I love hollywood's idea for cutting the last string.

I have a three colour pineapple to do within the week and will probably have trouble hiding all six ends. I have never been overly happy with my method either but after a while they do go into hiding and can't be seen so it's usually fine, but I usually have one or a max two colours...

I like the shim idea, normally I use an extremely sharp knife (most any knife closer to me usually works.) Pull as tight as possible and slice through until it snaps off, then bury the rest with a pin/fid or even knife tip depending which one was handy...

I might try the knot heads method though with this knot...

I have several photos. But none where you can see the tucked ends. LOL... Now there's an irony. LOL...

post-1307-043523300 1281893810_thumb.jpg

Brian...