Sign in to follow this  
westtxcowboy1979

Hermann Oak Leather

Where is a good place to purches some herman oak leather I'm looking for some 7/8 and 3/4? I have also seen it priced between 148.00 to 168.00 are these prices about average. Before anyone recommendes SLC I've already tried two hides on seprate occations and I was not happy with eather one. The top grain was loose on both of them and one of them had black spots on it. I had to use oxilic acid(SP?) on them to get the spots removed? Any help would be greatly appricated.

Where is a good place to purches some herman oak leather I'm looking for some 7/8 and 3/4? I have also seen it priced between 148.00 to 168.00 are these prices about average. Before anyone recommendes SLC I've already tried two hides on seprate occations and I was not happy with eather one. The top grain was loose on both of them and one of them had black spots on it. I had to use oxilic acid(SP?) on them to get the spots removed? Any help would be greatly appricated.

Have you ever tried Wickett&Craig leather? You can buy directly from the tannery without paying a middle man. You have to buy 8-10oz. sides and have them split (no cost) to the thickness you want. The only disadvantage is that the price is the same for 3-4 oz as it is for 8-10 oz. They also have different grades to choose from, depending on your needs.

Also, did you return the leather you were unhappy with to SLC? Did Kevin make things right with you? I've ordered Herman Oak from them and have been happy.

I only just recently ordered from SLC. Received two beautiful pieces of 6/7 oz Double shoulder. I told them since it was my first order with them I wanted to be impressed with the quality.

Cannot say how it tools yet. I clipped a "leg" corner to practice with, it was okay, will reserve my thoughts until more has been done.

I ordered leather from Tandy for years, never anything much other than "Live Oak". Loved working with that leather. They don't have it anymore.

ferg

Have you ever tried Wickett&Craig leather? You can buy directly from the tannery without paying a middle man. You have to buy 8-10oz. sides and have them split (no cost) to the thickness you want. The only disadvantage is that the price is the same for 3-4 oz as it is for 8-10 oz. They also have different grades to choose from, depending on your needs.

Also, did you return the leather you were unhappy with to SLC? Did Kevin make things right with you? I've ordered Herman Oak from them and have been happy.

Hilly, on the first hide that I ordered I just ordered it on line. The second one I odered I did call and talked to Kevin and a very nice young lady and expressed my concern with ordering another hide of that poor quality. They said they would hand pick the hide for me. Alittle more than half of the hide was useable. The other part was of very poor quality. The tooling side was very loose and would not hold a good basket stamp. I've always had good luck ordering with SLC. I will order with them again just not my leather. I just can't see spending one hunderd dollars and only being able to use alittle more than half of the hide. I know that when buying a hide their will be some bad spots but times are tuff and I want my money's worth. And back to answering your question lol yes I have used W&C I mainly like their saddle skirting skived down to 3 to 4 oz for wallets. For duty belts and holsters I like HO it seems to me that it holds up better and tools better. But that's just my opion.

I only just recently ordered from SLC. Received two beautiful pieces of 6/7 oz Double shoulder. I told them since it was my first order with them I wanted to be impressed with the quality.

Cannot say how it tools yet. I clipped a "leg" corner to practice with, it was okay, will reserve my thoughts until more has been done.

I ordered leather from Tandy for years, never anything much other than "Live Oak". Loved working with that leather. They don't have it anymore.

ferg

50 years leather, The parts of the hide that were good tooled good but the other parts would not hold a good basket stamp. after stamping it looked rough and felt rough. I quit using tandy leather about three years ago because non of the hides I recieved were consistant in thickness and they felt like card board. I found weavers and started using them but I like to help the little guys out and not the big money makers.

Try Panhandle Leather Co.. Good peope and good prices on the H.O 806-373-0535

-Ty-

I was recommended to purchase HO from Stevenson Paxton in California. I purchased 5 sides of a lower grade for $99 a side and was extremely happy with each one! I haven't gone back since I had so much leather from them with the exception of a last minute order due to a large credit on the books......boy that was a joke! It will be back to Stevenson Paxton or Pan Handle since my recommendations listed them as second.

Good luck

I was recommended to purchase HO from Stevenson Paxton in California. I purchased 5 sides of a lower grade for $99 a side and was extremely happy with each one! I haven't gone back since I had so much leather from them with the exception of a last minute order due to a large credit on the books......boy that was a joke! It will be back to Stevenson Paxton or Pan Handle since my recommendations listed them as second.

Good luck

King's X correct me if I'm wrong you can only order over the phone with them right. I looked at their site and it doesn't have much of a selection. Do you know if they have a catalog.