Sign in to follow this  
Amanda Powell

Hi There!

Yet another newbie introduction.

My name's Amanda. I'm a student at UC Davis. I'm hoping to breed and train horses after I graduate (I'm not disillusioned, I know it won't happen right away.) I'm working towards my vet tech license right now. I decided to try my hand at making tack this summer. I'm all artsy farsty and very particular about things. I kept finding bridles that were half what I wanted, half hideous. So making my own stuff seemed like the thing to do. The plan was to make one headstall and a set of rawhide romel reins (the rawhide hasn't happened yet) and if things went well, selling custom work. So far I think I've spent more than I would have on a new bridle, but I'm happy because everything's just the way I want it. I'm hoping to learn more about leatherwork (tooling in particular) and anything else I might be able to pick up here :)

:welcome: You've found the right place to learn everything there is to know about leather. Please don't be shy... Post images of your work when ready!

Best regards, -Alex

Oh yes, best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Welcome from So. Cal. I attended many a party at UC Davis...even though I wasn't a student or even live close...ah the good ol' days.

Have fun on the site and share your work...best way to learn is to have the knowledgable folks here give their experienced feedback.

Check out the free tutorials at Paul Burnett's site as well...some awesome info there: http://paintingcow.com/content/index.php/publications/free_lesson_sign_up/

Chris