GoodBlues

Turned under covered rope handle

hi, oh boy, where to begin - I want to cover maybe half-inch soft-ish rope/filler with light weight leather for a handbag strap, but I want the cover part to splay out at the D-ring where it connects to the bag. Now to get the machine's feet to stay on the leather, tight up against the rope, you'd leave enough leather to be able to slightly pull the ropey part up against the welt foot or whatever you're using.

That I have more or less figured out. However, what about skiving the edges and turning them inside, yet still sewing on the 4 flat edges (forming a 4-layered lip, so to shpeak), so that the edges are clean!!!??? That's a slick, beautiful idea, but if I DO that, I have nothing, basically, to sew on, and no handle to pull the covered rope up against the welt foot, except maybe one of those roller guides... (or my trembling finger), but if the filler's a little soft, it's too squishy to really push the filler up tight against the foot.

I'm hoping that I'm wayyy off base because this is mostly not going to work, and that there's a slick way to successfully do this. I just think that thin leather with cut edges exposed isn't the look I want to achieve.

By the way, everybody here is so helpful... I feel like I fell into a vat of chocolate.

Mich

hi, oh boy, where to begin - I want to cover maybe half-inch soft-ish rope/filler with light weight leather for a handbag strap, but I want the cover part to splay out at the D-ring where it connects to the bag. Now to get the machine's feet to stay on the leather, tight up against the rope, you'd leave enough leather to be able to slightly pull the ropey part up against the welt foot or whatever you're using.

That I have more or less figured out. However, what about skiving the edges and turning them inside, yet still sewing on the 4 flat edges (forming a 4-layered lip, so to shpeak), so that the edges are clean!!!??? That's a slick, beautiful idea, but if I DO that, I have nothing, basically, to sew on, and no handle to pull the covered rope up against the welt foot, except maybe one of those roller guides... (or my trembling finger), but if the filler's a little soft, it's too squishy to really push the filler up tight against the foot.

I'm hoping that I'm wayyy off base because this is mostly not going to work, and that there's a slick way to successfully do this. I just think that thin leather with cut edges exposed isn't the look I want to achieve.

By the way, everybody here is so helpful... I feel like I fell into a vat of chocolate.

Mich

Hi Mitch! Welcome to the neatest place on the internet! I'm sure someone who's experienced with handles will be along shortly to help you, but in the meantime, who ever said you have to sew them by machine?

Edited by Hilly

Mich

Hi, Hilly! Well, you're right of course. I started out back in the middle 60's in a shop that specialized in hand-sewing virtually anything the customer wanted. And as the short-timer, that was what I mostly did. However, I'm hoping to make these for profit. And I'm now old enough that I want to sew more than 2 of these before I go into a rest home. So short, consistent, fine, (did I mention consistent?) FAST stitching is my current goal. But you do bring up a very good option--maybe the best, really. And with time, I'm sure my hand stitches would again be consistent and fine.

Which book would you recommend for good instructions on stitching the tricky bits? (not a horse "bit")

Hi, Hilly! Well, you're right of course. I started out back in the middle 60's in a shop that specialized in hand-sewing virtually anything the customer wanted. And as the short-timer, that was what I mostly did. However, I'm hoping to make these for profit. And I'm now old enough that I want to sew more than 2 of these before I go into a rest home. So short, consistent, fine, (did I mention consistent?) FAST stitching is my current goal. But you do bring up a very good option--maybe the best, really. And with time, I'm sure my hand stitches would again be consistent and fine.

Which book would you recommend for good instructions on stitching the tricky bits? (not a horse "bit")

Darn! I keep hitting the "submit" button before I answer!

...What else is there to do in a rest home, anyway? :)

...The book "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Volume II by Al Stohlman is an excellent book! Very detailed and exact instructions! Also, Vols I and III are just as good!

Edited by Hilly

Depending on the type of rope, you might be able to 'compress' it by twisting it. Follow the direction of the rope and just twist it tighter. A set of clamps on a bar of appropriate length would let you work hands free once it's 'compressed'. Then, once you've covered it, release the extra twist(s) and it will return to it's normal size, filling out the leather.

GOOD BLUES, I WISHED I HAD A PHOTO TO SHOW YOU, BUT I THINK YOU WILL NEED IS A CORDING FOOT.

RE LIST THIS IN THE SEWING MACHINE HEADING AND I BELEIVE ART WILL GIVE SOME INPUT.