Chris B

A Bench Question

Hello All, well hopefully on wednesday I will start building my bench it will be a do all bench and I want to inlay my piece of granite. I already have all of my dieminsions but I dont have a clue on which side to inlay the granite?? I am left handed so I dont know if I should put in on the right or left or in the middle. Oh this bench will be used from cutting out the leather to tooling and dyeing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

You probably want it at one end or the other if it is a multipurpose bench. It keeps the granite further away from the dye and working area.

Hello All, well hopefully on wednesday I will start building my bench it will be a do all bench and I want to inlay my piece of granite. I already have all of my dieminsions but I dont have a clue on which side to inlay the granite?? I am left handed so I dont know if I should put in on the right or left or in the middle. Oh this bench will be used from cutting out the leather to tooling and dyeing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a stone inlaid on each end of my bench and I find myself using the one on the right end 10 to 1, as I'm right handed. So I would think you would want yours on the left end as you are left handed. I use the one on my bench to skive on, hammer down stitches, and lots of other things also. I don't know how I got along for many years without them.

Chris,

What I would do is put the stone on the dining room table( thats my work bench) on top of cardbord

size of bench you want top you want to set it into. Then you can move the stone to what feels right. Outline it.

If hight is not right buld frame than do same thing and cut out to your drawn shape. the cardboard is template

size of whole bench top.

Hobo's way

Joe st

Thanks for the replies guys. I never thought of a piece at each end, and I am going to try that pattern suggestion out.

Thanks Guys,

Chris