My Father in law's birthday is coming up and I wanted to make him a wallet. He is a cabinet maker by trade, and I have been wanting to try my hand at a "wood grained" wallet. So here it is, I hope I did it justice. I havent given it to him yet. It has 4 card slots in the front and a single money pocket. I used british tan but It darkened up a bit when I oiled it after dieing which is ok. I also used black antique on it but I dont know if i did it right or even did a good job for that matter. For the life of me I cant figure out how to end the lace. The diagrams and the instructions just go over my head and arent drawn well (or i just cant read and comprehend) As always Im looking for ways I couldve done it better, so any advice or criticism is welcome!

post-14062-014279100 1283513170_thumb.jppost-14062-020648900 1283513158_thumb.jppost-14062-048128400 1283513148_thumb.jppost-14062-087989400 1283513135_thumb.jp

My Father in law's birthday is coming up and I wanted to make him a wallet. He is a cabinet maker by trade, and I have been wanting to try my hand at a "wood grained" wallet. So here it is, I hope I did it justice. I havent given it to him yet. It has 4 card slots in the front and a single money pocket. I used british tan but It darkened up a bit when I oiled it after dieing which is ok. I also used black antique on it but I dont know if i did it right or even did a good job for that matter. For the life of me I cant figure out how to end the lace. The diagrams and the instructions just go over my head and arent drawn well (or i just cant read and comprehend) As always Im looking for ways I couldve done it better, so any advice or criticism is welcome!

post-14062-014279100 1283513170_thumb.jppost-14062-020648900 1283513158_thumb.jppost-14062-048128400 1283513148_thumb.jppost-14062-087989400 1283513135_thumb.jp

I think you done a great job on the wood grain. You need to double up on the corners with your lace. That is: Make the corner slot just a little larger than the others so you can lace more than one time in the corner hole. Makes the corner filled in.

Also: I believe you should have either hand stitched the liner or sewn on a sewing machine. The lacing inside makes the wallet a little bulky.

Overall you done a nice job.

ferg

Hey thanks for the advice. Ive been cutting slits in the designs for lace but I think that i wanna go to holes this time. Yeah I definatly need to lace in the corners more. I did the lace on the inside to cover my edge, as I am not sure how to have fabric and leather meet up for that shape I made, and havent figured out how to do a french roll. I dont have a sewing machine of any kind so thats out of the question also. Anyway thanks a lot for the imput!

Interesting pattern on your guts.