rcsaddles

Stirrup Leathers

I had a guy bring me what he calls a "Kentucky Rollback" saddle. It needs new stirrup leathers. Honestly, I have no idea how to make them or how long they shoudl be. The guy is only about 5' 3" tall and weighs about 130 pounds. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I will try to get a picture and post it in the next couple of days. Anyone that makes this kind of saddle let me know as this winter he may want one made.

Thanks

I rebuilt a Kentucky Rollback / Bluegrass saddle several years ago and it was a bear. The seams on the rolls were near impossable to get straight and lined up. Never get them really in line. Get ready to do lots of hand sewing ( but that might not be as big of a problem now with more affordable deep throat machines ) if you tackle rebuiding it find a supplier of hog hair. Whats in it didn't really work for me when i had restuff the rolls.

The seat in one is sort of suspended. When i did mine i use seat belt webbing to suspend it. Then a piece of canvas a 1/4 inch piece of neoprene then the leather for the seat

60 inches on the sturipp leather should be plenty long because of the way their dropped down to start with.. But you might want to check that with a cloth tape and have him set on the saddle with a sturipp on the cloth tape. Oh the buckle for the sturipp leathers needs to be put on backwards so the tongue of the buckle doesn't scratch the fenders. If i can find the pictures i will post them of the one i did,

I found a whole new appreciation for the original builder after i tackled it !! Best of luck on your journey if decide to rebuild it.