RunningRoan

Clickers And Clicking

Needing to maximize time and increase productivity. Thinking clicking out my most popular items would certainly help, as I spend a lot of time and energy hand-cutting. I suppose I have two options...buy my clicker dies from Weaver and have them click out my items from the leather I purchase from them (would save me from having to purchase a clicker, but then I'm tied to Weaver). Or just bite the bullet and buy the dies and the machine.

I am leaning toward buying it all myself and doing the clicking right here. I like the idea of being able to click out only the parts I need and having the clicked pieces in hand instantly to start crafting into something that same day.

I have looked at clickers a little bit online, but I'm pretty clueless. I'll need to click out some fairly large pieces (such as large pieces for breast collars) and I'm not sure that I would be happy with a hand operated clicker. Anyone have any feedback on hand operated clickers?

My only other option would be an air or hydraulic operated clicker. How difficult are these types of clickers to install in a shop? I have access to an air compressor...is that all I would need to run an air powered clicker? Again, excuse my cluelessness here :rolleyes2:

Now how about the dies. I'll need to have some special ones made of course, and I'll need to purchase some pre-made ones for basic parts. Any suggestions or testimonials on companies to make the dies and purchase pre-made ones?

That's a pretty broad question, since there are so many choices and considerations. I have a small hand-operated benchtop press, with a few dies I've had made, and it's worth its weight in gold if you ask me. It's great for smaller parts, say no bigger than 9"x9".

BUT, you don't necessarily have to have a press bed that's as big as your part to cut it. I can cut parts slightly longer than 9", by moving the die and the leather across the bed while making multiple strokes. A little more work than just one stroke, but still a lot less work than cutting by hand.

If you don't have enough to invest in a press that will do everything you want, you might consider getting something that will do at least some of what you want, then upgrade when you've made back enough to invest more.

There are at least a couple of topics here on this forum about how to modify a shop press (such as those found at Harbor Freight) to make it work as a clicker press. Texas Custom Dies also has 12-ton presses that they make (probably modified shop presses) that are reasonably priced.

Another thing to consider if you really want one of the big industrial presses, is whether you have a facility that can handle it. Many of them are very big, and very heavy, and require 3-cycle current. There are some smaller ones that don't require quite as much overhead, but when you're shopping for one, that's something to take note of.

Kate

There are phase converters available to convert the single phase house current to 3 phase. I would use a rotary model over a static type.

There are single phase clicker presses out there. Just keep an eye out for them USM is a good choice. Watch for auctions

at Weaver Leather usually in June. I bought one five or six years ago at Church Town, Pa. at a Moses Schmucker auction.

These things are heavy they weigh around a ton.

The phase converters cost around 300. There was one for sale in the Leatherworker for sale stuff, but I think it is sold.

There are lots of folks that make the steel rule clicker die. Weaver does not have a monopoly of making them. There is

an Amishman in northern new york that makes them he does a very good job. He made one for me last spring for the

They are in fact very handy to have. Your product is in your hand in a very short time and you can then begin to finish it.

Needing to maximize time and increase productivity. Thinking clicking out my most popular items would certainly help, as I spend a lot of time and energy hand-cutting. I suppose I have two options...buy my clicker dies from Weaver and have them click out my items from the leather I purchase from them (would save me from having to purchase a clicker, but then I'm tied to Weaver). Or just bite the bullet and buy the dies and the machine.

I am leaning toward buying it all myself and doing the clicking right here. I like the idea of being able to click out only the parts I need and having the clicked pieces in hand instantly to start crafting into something that same day.

I have looked at clickers a little bit online, but I'm pretty clueless. I'll need to click out some fairly large pieces (such as large pieces for breast collars) and I'm not sure that I would be happy with a hand operated clicker. Anyone have any feedback on hand operated clickers?

My only other option would be an air or hydraulic operated clicker. How difficult are these types of clickers to install in a shop? I have access to an air compressor...is that all I would need to run an air powered clicker? Again, excuse my cluelessness here :rolleyes2:

Now how about the dies. I'll need to have some special ones made of course, and I'll need to purchase some pre-made ones for basic parts. Any suggestions or testimonials on companies to make the dies and purchase pre-made ones?

I know this is an old thread, but just stumbled on it. If you haven't done anything yet. Texas Custom Dies (Heather) sent me pictures of the clicker and I made one myself. You can buy the "H" press at Harbor Freight and have someone that does welding put the plates on for you. Mine is a 20 ton hydraulic jack and I can cut through the thickest leather (I use only Texas Dies, they are the sharpest). I had a fabricator do the welding and it works great. I use it almost everyday. The total cost for building was $275 and you don't need electricity. I'm probably late, but thought I would throw this out to you. Mike