I was just curious how many of you have employees? How did you decide it was time to get one? Did you have trouble finding people who could do the work? I know I could use a part time helper, at least. From time to time I have people contact me and want to work for free to learn. I have always turned them down. It seemed like the things I would want them to do aren't probably what they would want to learn, and I have enough to do without worrying about trying to teach someone. Did you start with someone to do things like book work and ordering, cleaning the shop etc. Or did you start with someone to do work like cutting strings, punching holes, actual leather work? did you find it hard to have someone in the shop after working alone. From time to time I have had friends help with getting ready for a show or big order. It makes it harder to concentrate, although I spose you just work through that and get used to it.

I think it would force me to be better organized and that would be a good thing.

I dont actually have an employee so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that if I were going to have someone come help out, and that if I was to pay them wages, AND theywere doing it to learn thatI would stress to them that you have to take the good with the bad and do the mundane things like sweeping, and placing orders and such stuff before you get to do the fun stuff like stamping and tooling and assembly.once they have been around a while, and have shown themselves capable of handling the mundane stuff proficiently, then gradually allow them to do more and more.when the shop has spare downtime, take them and show them how to properly cut straps, and how to properly do a basket weave. but I would highly reccommend not allowing them through the front door an walk straight back to the tooling table to bang out a few items.anyone that wants to properly learn will understand this and be willing to put the time in to learn all the aspects without moaning and complaining.

this person will eventually grow on you, and you will appreciate having them around to do the other things like dying, or punching holes and what not that eat up precious hours in the day. good luck

I have managed a number of small businesses. When the work load is beyond what you can do yourself (or with the employees you already have.) then your right, it is time to look for help. In the past I've hired prospects and they knew they were on a trial basis. Many worked out well others did not for a variety of reasons. It is always hard for me to hand off a job to someone else. I have my whims and when I tell someone how I want something done I expect it done in the manner I've specified. I give real specific information, show them, explain why, let them try it and when I think they have it down, I let them work on thier own and come back to check. You have to be willing to invest that kind of time if you want someone who will be an asset later on. (At times they will add to you scrap heap, I know I did when learning new jobs.) Employees I've found are often what I make them. If I'm sloppy and give incomplete instructions and just expect them to see me do it and perform to my satisfaction (I have done this at times because I did not want to be bothered) it won't happen, then I'm unhappy and make them unhappy.

Hiring an employee will slow you down at first and make your job more difficult. You will have to stop figure out what jobs you'll want them to do. Question is how long will that last and what adjustments can you make to offset and bring up the shops production.

I have found retired people to be great employees. They have a long track record and usually a strong work ethic. Most want only part time work which may be what you need. How ever there comes the issue of heath and availability. Some like to vacation in the summer when you are in full swing with repairs and orders.

The other option is to find someone who wants to learn the trade. (Getting harder all the time as the younger generation would rather play video games and avoid any thing that looks like physical work.)

Last but not least are what requirements does your state have regarding workers compensation and any forms of disability insurance. Would your insurance you already have suffice? Don't forget those legal aspects as you don't want to find that out after your newly hired employee cuts themselves (likely they will) and your trying to explain it.

I guess my point is I would hire someone only if...

1. They had the intrest and ability to learn. (Some people don't have the mental vision to produce good work and just can't handle hand tools well.)

2. Were polite and well mannered when in contact with my customers. (Decent phone and personal communication skills.)

3. I was willing to invest the time into them and my business. (Small business is tough to do this.)

4. My work load was consitently beyond what I was capable of doing and I found myself behind the great majority of the time.

Thanks guys, Lots of good points to ponder. I had been thinking along the lines of a retired person, since I really don't think I need someone full time. I'm also thinking it would be nice if they can qualify as an independent contractor so I don't have to worry about all the paperwork for state and federal taxes. Well, at least not as MUCH paperwork.

Mulefool,

Most retired people can work a certain number of hours and/or dollar amounts per year before upsetting thier retirement benifits., so you need to check into that too. (I had one dependable retired employee I relied heavily on that reached their limit and had to take an extended vacation at a very inoppertune time for me.) My failure to keep track made for a very difficult time.

I had also thought of the independant approach but if they are actually working in your shop you want to be sure there will be no chance of an accident would come back on you. You also need to check and see if you home/business insurance would cover any injuries or if the employee (contractor) has his own insurance. (Ask them provide proof of the current policy.)

I used to manage a butcher shop and there was no way around the workers comp insurance issues as it was a legal requirement by the state. Fortunatly the only person who hurt themselves very seriously was myself during my thirteen years there. (Cut the end of my left index finger nearly off.) Stitching it back on and the medication was much more expensive than I ever would have guessed. I also was astounded how long I sat in the ER holding the end of my finger on before anyone came to treat it. It was between three and four hours after first walking in the door, then fifteen to twenty minutes to get it stiched up, a shot and get a prescription.

Take care and good luck!