King's X

On Of The Best Things I Found At The Tx Show!

I have been looking for a miniature saddle tree to attempt a saddle, but most trees have been out of my price range. While carousing the lanes of the Texas Saddle & Boot Show this weekend, I ran into Heath Howes from the Chicago Stockyeard Saddle Tree company. A particular saddle tree caught my eye that sat on the counter! No.......no.......it was a miniature saddle tree! My palms quickly became wet as I approached the booth, as I got ready to ask for the price. I was greeted with a smile and handshake. I asked about the tree and was given the price. Since I was waiting for the amount to hit what I had been quoted before, I didn't hear him present the price, so I asked him to repeat himself. He told me that the tree was on sale at show price for $50. it was a resin cast miniature of a Wade tree off of their full time trees. I asked Mr. Heath if he minded if I post his information on LW and he said sure....he also said to tell you all that he will honor the show price, but a deadline was not given.

Heath Howes

7551 N. Oakley Avenue

Ground floor

Chicago, IL 60645

312-515-0594

howes@literidetree.com

Make sure to put 'King's X Miniature Saddle Tree ~ Texas' in the subject line!

Side note: Mr. Heath is in the process of completing a saddle pattern book for all trees they carry. Publishing time was not provided.

I can wait to start my new project!

post-6330-025975200 1286149182_thumb.jpg

Mini Saddle Tree.jpg

Edited by northmount
fixed email address

How big is it? Does he make McClellan style trees, by any chance? Thanks for sharing.

Kate

I am in the process of developing new trees for my line of half trees. Is the McClellan one you'd like to see?

A McClellan would be nice we could alter the pattern to fit other trees easly. Are you going to let us know on here when the patterns are ready?

William Elliott

I am in the process of developing new trees for my line of half trees. Is the McClellan one you'd like to see?

Heath,

I bet the McClellan would be popular in full or half sizes. I know some ladies in the Netherlands who are fans of the Malibaud saddles (made on a McClellan type resin tree). One of the ladies wants to build her own saddle, and the Frenchman won't sell her a tree. (not yet, anyway.) I would love to steer their tree buying business to America if it wasn't too complicated. It seems the McClellan tree is useful to make iberian type saddles and classical/mideival type designs. I think a wither tracing would be good enough as these saddles have padded bars like an english or aussie saddle.

Posting two photos of the trees, and in the background is a finished "spainish" type saddle marketed in Europe. The Iberian Connection imports a saddle called the Alta Escuela that looks like the saddle pictured in the background. I still can't figure out who makes this tree, but maybe it doesn't matter.

*By the way, I have a half tree I bought from Heath and I used it to practice covering a tree with rawhide before I tackled a full size tree. These trees do not need rawhide at all, I just liked the small size for practicing this skill. I am very happy with it.

Gretchen

post-15095-006292400 1323627149_thumb.jp

post-15095-078597800 1323627344_thumb.jp

If only I had extra cash sitting around!! blink.gif