Tentman

Everyday Riding Boots - Help

Hello Guys

My 20 year old boots wore out - they were a set of Canadian handmade low ropers my Mum and Dad picked up for me in Calgary, and were very expensive back then. I fixed them lots but they are now like grandads axe and not safe to ride in anymore - especially now I've just started a young horse and might just end up walking home one day yet. We don't see any of your manufactuers everyday boots down here in NZ, usually only cheap dress boots.

Money is tight so the budget is US$130. I don't need leather soles necessarily, we are at the wet end of the country so mud is my friend in the winter and spring, maybe in a cheaper boot a composition sole is a more reliable bet ??

Can you guys give me some opinions on what brands and styles I should be considering as real good value for money, I've been looking at the likes of "Ariat® Sierra western work boots" and "Dan Post Waterproof Western Work Boots" on Sheplers.

Many thanks

Excellent question! I've been looking for new boots as well, and have the same problem. Seems like everyone makes costume boots these days. So far, the best deal i have been able to find, via the net has been

www.drewsboots.com They start a bit higher than you wanted, but they are hand made. I have a pair of Leuchesse boots that i have owned for 18 years that cost $300 US, and Dres handmade start at around $350. All the boots i have found in the $150 range feel like they are made of vinyl. The folks here likely have found quality makers, and they could be right on this forum, considering the level of saddle makers!

My plan is to go without, and save here and there, and buy hand made. A set of Ariats, 'may' last you 5 years, if you are giving them the punishment that you describe,( and I think 5 years is generous because i have held a set of Ariats) that is generous. You got twenty years out of the hand made ones. 20 divided by 5....Did those hand made boots cost your folks $600? That is how much 4 sets of Ariats are going to cost you to get 20 years out of boots that won't fit like a custom.

Just sharing the psychology and manipulation that I have been using on myself. Hope it helps!

Dennis

Tentman, . . . I'm sitting at my computer looking at my 15+ year old boots that got so scruffy as brown boots that I just up and dyed them black. They don't look quite so bad that way.

Anyway, . . . they're work boots, . . . steel toed, . . . original soles, . . . original heels, . . . and I still love the things. I'd say I've had em on probably no less than 300 days out of each of those years I've had em.

They're from http://www.georgiaboot.com/products/ and are a Wellington design. They also make those that are not steel toed.

May God bless,

Dwight

If you are looking for a good quality boot that you can ride in everyday, and will still stand up to normal walking and wear and tear, you cant beat Anderson Beans (http://www.andersonbeanboots.com/). They are made by the same company that makes Rios of Mercedes, and a few other brands, and are the best "production" boot on the market in my opinion. I say "production", because they are made in large quantities, but are still made by hand. They can be customized anyway you want, as long as you are willing to pay lol. I personally have 3 pairs of Anderson Beans, and two pairs of Rios of Mercedes, and I wont even consider buying another brand other than these two. The Rios will be a little more expensive, but some Beans will run you between $200-600 (US), depending on the leather, tops, stitching, etc. AB also has a lot of different sole options (leather, crepe, hybrid (leather with rubber midsole), oxbow (compressed crepe and rides like leather), and a few others). They have what they call their production line, and these will be boots that any AB dealer can order, and many will carry during the year. They also have a lot of different styles that one dealer may carry, but another wouldnt, because the dealers are able to call and design boots that they want to sell. I have never had any issues with me ABs or Rios, and have had the soles and heels changed many times, and they still fit like the day I bought them. My absolute favorite pair of ABs are my chocolate elephants. They did stretch more than I anticipated, and I bought the half size bigger than I normally wear thinking they wouldnt stretch very much at all, but they still fit fine and are great to ride in.

I have the same thoughts on boot quality that Dennis has, I would much rather spend more money now and have them last me 10+ years, rather than pay for 10 pairs throughout that span, because they only last 1 year each. As far as getting ABs or Rios in NZ, I would call the company directly and see if there are any distributors or dealers down there, or see how much it would be for you to just buy a production model if you find one you like. Im sure that a western store such as Cavenders (www.cavenders.com) would be willing to ship a pair that far, but it might be kinda pricey.

Hope this helps,

CW

Hey - Thanks so much for the leads Folks, its real hard to buy stuff by mail and get exactly what you want, but when you live at the end of the earth thats what ya have to expect.

I'll follow up on all these and see what transpires.

Cheers - Foster

Hey - Thanks so much for the leads Folks, its real hard to buy stuff by mail and get exactly what you want, but when you live at the end of the earth thats what ya have to expect.

I'll follow up on all these and see what transpires.

Cheers - Foster

Yes, but it just happens to be at a very beautiful end! Sounds like a fair trade. :)

Foster. I live in my boots and they have to stand up in all weather and long hours in the stirrup. I am a reat fan of Custom Rios of Mercedes. In fact ordered

a new pair last week. However, they are kinfd of pricie to have custom made. I strongly recommend that you look on internet for Texas Prime and talk to

Mr. Shipler about what you required. Be sure to tell him you want Honcho Boots. I have several pairs of them and they stand up very well under the test.

Boomer

I prefer Timberland PRO. I wear my boots at least 10 hour in a day. It ıs very relax while I am working. I bought a pair of these boots on the recommendation of a co-worker, he said they were extremely comfortable and long lasting. While I agree the boots are comfortable they are a little on the heavy side for my taste but I am sure once I wear them for a while I will get used to the extra weight. Also I have very wide feet (4E) and the widest size they make are only 2E. The boots fit snuggly but as long as I don't tie them too tight I can live with them being a little snug. I read great and informational reviews on http://www.bootzoom.com/ .

this winter I decided to try  KEEN Utility  . I heard great news about it .  They have been true to size and support my ankle and arch perfectly. I was concerned that they were too heavy, but I haven't experienced any fatigue from them - I never have sore feet after a long day wearing these boots. The sole is firm enough to prevent rocks from hurting my feet, but still has good grip and flexes enough when I walk - the perfect balance for me.
I am completely satisfied with them after wearing them for the last  three month, but I am looking forward to seeing if they are too hot for wearing during the summer . I found a siter earlier and was very helpful for my decision . http://www.bootratings.com/ 

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'd say that Kentetrek's are a very solid choice. There is a review here praising them http://www.outdoor-ranger.net/, however you might want to do your own research as well. They worked well for me when I was out hunting long hours and if they can last that comfortably they should be able to fit you as well.

Although I have to say that Georgiaboot also make a mean pair as well from what I hear.