clutey

12 Guage Cartridge Pouch

Hi guys, I'm a total newbie to leather work. I got myself a starter kit from Tandy and have worked through a couple of the projects, still not finished them all but I will work my way through them. What I am looking to complete for myself eventually is a cartridge pouch that will hold about 50x12 guage shotgun shells, the type of pouch for sale on Lonesome Charlie's site. http://store.lonesomecharlie.com I have trawled through a lot of the historic topics and can't find anything relating to this type of pouch. Really I need quite a bit of advice like, what sort of leather I need, the thickness, etc, are there any patterns available, do I need several types of leather, how do I waterproof it. The weather here in Northern Ireland has been known to be quite wet LOL. I know working on this pouch will be some time way off in the future. But I am prepared to take time to build up the tools/dyes/finishes and all the equipment required Any advice will be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Clutey.....

Depending on the bag your asking about some are made with vegetable tanned and chrome tanned leather and some are made with chrome tan leather. They look like their sewed wrong side out and turned right side out. My guess is you will need to make your own pattern. Something like 10 across and 5 high. 50 12 guage shells is going to be heavy if you wear it very long.

My question is where are you going to put the shells you have shot ? I'm guessing that your going to save them to reload. If you are and make another bag it's going to need to be bigger because i doubt you'll take the time to arrange them after you shoot espically if your shooting trap or skeet.

Al Stohlman's Art of making leather cases Vol 1 has a shotgun shell 1 box case and a 4 box carrier. To make one like his though, you'll have to make up your own pattern and experiment a bit.

Thanks for the replies guys. I shoot skeet but over here Dirtcold believe it or not it isn't that cost effective to reload and the hassle that's involved in trying to get the proper licences to hold the primers and powder is unbelievable. Anyway getting sidetracked slightly, what is chrome tanned leather? Can it be carved, stamped, waterproofed etc. Thanks again guys Clutey......

Clutey, I'm a deer hunter, . . . so I don't empathize well with you shotgunners, . . . but the leather part is a snap I think. Make your first one out of 4 or 5 oz vegetable tanned leather. It will carve, dye, stamp, . . . all that stuff easly, . . . and will work easily too. Use the little diagram I have here, . . . make one the size of a box of your shells there in Ireland.

Make a wooden box first that is about 3mm longer, 3mm wider, and 3mm taller than the box of shells. Make your leather just like the pattern, . . . sew it up the sides and along the bottom for your belt box. Get it wet in hot water you can just barely stand your hands in, . . . stretch it over the box, . . . leave it for a couple of hours, . . . slip out the wooden box, . . . let it finish drying.

If you want to carve or stamp, . . . lay out your design first, . . . then do the carving and stamping. THEN cut and make your box. Dye it last, . . . give it at least 2 good coats of 50/50 Resolene and water solution (3 or 4 would be good), . . . you'll have a strong, practically water proof leather box to carry your shells.

After you have proofed your technique and style on the single box carrier, . . . get a piece of 8 or 9 oz leather, . . . make your 50 round box from that, . . . make it the same way. If you don't want to stitch it, . . . punch the edges and lace it. Just remember that if you sew it and leave the four seams sticking out away from the box, . . . it will be unique looking and at the same time, . . . very strong.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-049520500 1288555276_thumb.jpg

Clutey, chrome tan leather is a softer leather that comes in alot of different thickness's is is used for jackets, purses and such and you can't carve it or stamp it. Or i never have any luck doing it. Vegetable tan you can carve and stamp it. C142 has both types of leather C154 looks to me like it's all chrome tan leather.

To tell you the truth i was surprized that you are able to own a gun in the UK. I though they had done away with all of the guns.

Most of the folks i know that shoot very much around here reload because it's it's cheaper. But if you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to be able to get permits i understand why your not reloading.

post-11301-065109000 1288560701_thumb.jp

post-11301-082447300 1288560734_thumb.jp

Thanks again guys for the replies. Although we are part of the UK, gun laws here in N Ireland differ significantly from the Mainland UK. I have owned a hand gun, rifle and a couple of shotguns. On the Mainland I think hand guns are banned and maybe rifles as well but not sure, but shotguns are owned and used big time in all the different shotgun disciplines.

The advice you all have given me is exactly what I need and the pattern and suggestions, Dwight will be very useful indeed.

The pouch C154 being chrome tanned leather, what sort of thickness would you guys advise me to go for and would it need to be treated the same way to waterproof it as the vegetable tanned leather? I really appreciate your input guys and thanks again.

Regards Clutey.....

Clutey, I'm a deer hunter, . . . so I don't empathize well with you shotgunners, . . . but the leather part is a snap I think. Make your first one out of 4 or 5 oz vegetable tanned leather. It will carve, dye, stamp, . . . all that stuff easly, . . . and will work easily too. Use the little diagram I have here, . . . make one the size of a box of your shells there in Ireland.

Make a wooden box first that is about 3mm longer, 3mm wider, and 3mm taller than the box of shells. Make your leather just like the pattern, . . . sew it up the sides and along the bottom for your belt box. Get it wet in hot water you can just barely stand your hands in, . . . stretch it over the box, . . . leave it for a couple of hours, . . . slip out the wooden box, . . . let it finish drying.

If you want to carve or stamp, . . . lay out your design first, . . . then do the carving and stamping. THEN cut and make your box. Dye it last, . . . give it at least 2 good coats of 50/50 Resolene and water solution (3 or 4 would be good), . . . you'll have a strong, practically water proof leather box to carry your shells.

After you have proofed your technique and style on the single box carrier, . . . get a piece of 8 or 9 oz leather, . . . make your 50 round box from that, . . . make it the same way. If you don't want to stitch it, . . . punch the edges and lace it. Just remember that if you sew it and leave the four seams sticking out away from the box, . . . it will be unique looking and at the same time, . . . very strong.

May God bless,

Dwight

FWIW: Dwight has hit it right on the head. This is exactly how I make all of my shell box carriers for trap shooters. The same for 'skeeters'. Mine hold a single box of 25 rounds. They are simple, sturdy, and useful. I usually make mine to fit the box firmly and add a 'finger hole' in the center of the bottom to help push out the empty box. A box of 25 rounds is usually quite enough to carry around while shooting. Mike

Edited by katsass

Thanks again guys for the replies. Although we are part of the UK, gun laws here in N Ireland differ significantly from the Mainland UK. I have owned a hand gun, rifle and a couple of shotguns. On the Mainland I think hand guns are banned and maybe rifles as well but not sure, but shotguns are owned and used big time in all the different shotgun disciplines.

The advice you all have given me is exactly what I need and the pattern and suggestions, Dwight will be very useful indeed.

The pouch C154 being chrome tanned leather, what sort of thickness would you guys advise me to go for and would it need to be treated the same way to waterproof it as the vegetable tanned leather? I really appreciate your input guys and thanks again.

Regards Clutey.....

If you use chrome tanned leather be aware that it will tarnish the hardware you use on the material.

Vegetable tan would work better 4 or 5 ounce should be about right for the thickness

Yep I think I'll start of with Dwight's suggestion and try the single box pouch first. Then once I get a bit of experience and a lot of practice, move on to the more difficult larger pouch. 4 to 5 Oz seems to be the thickness to go for, be it veg tanned or chrome. Some good advice here guys thanks again.

Regards Clutey.....