Sign in to follow this  
5akers

Threading Needle (Warning Noob Content)

I am using nylon thread but it keeps coming undone from needle. I have the book on hand stitching by Al Stohlman, but that just covers the linen thread. Is there a better way to thread a needle when using synthetic thread? I am at work and I dont have the specifics on the thread and needles I am using right now.

Thanks Gary

I don't have my copy handy but this is the way I do it and I think it is from the book.

1) thread needle

2) pierce thread with needle a couple of inches back from the end of the thread

3) pull free end of thread so that the place you pierced is down at the eye

4) smooth things out and sew

Dan

Lightly melt the end of the string with a lighter and twist it into the running end while it's hot enough......then curse loudly because it was a little more melted than you thought and you have blob of semi molten plastic stuck to your finger. Apply first aid as needed. Repeat. You'll get the hang of heating the thread, twisting it in, and letting it go quickly.

Thanks everyone, I have just recently bought some bees wax to apply to the thread behind the needle seems to help. I think I got ahold of some thread that doesnt have much wax.

I do it as dbusarow described. It's the best way when doing two-needle stitching.

With nylon thread, I wax it and pierce the needle through the thread three times instead of just once.

Kevin