Just wonder what types of dyes/stains work best when you are trying to fade from color to color. And also some techniques that work well when you are trying to fade from color to color.

All a matter of personal preference. There are unlimited combinations of color and method, so it becomes a matter of the look you want and the method you're comfortable with. Examples ...

I use Fiebing's spirit dyes, and usually in an airbrush. This is more for speed than for effect. I use brushes (red sable hair) to get the look I want at times, and the look and the technique are different even though it's the same dye.

I don't use acrylics at all, but I've seen VERY nice work by those who use acrylics.

One large difference is that the acrylics tend to be more opaque, as a rule. If you put light blue spirit dye on "yellow-tan" (natural) leather, you'll get a greenish tint, because the natural leather "adds" to the color of the light blue. Light blue acrylics tend to cover the underlying color - even when thinned - and will result in a more pure light blue. Keep in mind that this comes from a guy who has tried various acrylics on different substances - and in the end chose the spirit dyes for leather.

For what it's worth ...

One of our leather friends, Peter Main, demonstrates a "dry brush" technique, to blend and fade in and out of colors.

It's a very effective way to achieve what an air brush is excellent at.

Peter's book is available from the usual suspects.