TwinOaks

Holy Sewing Machine, Batman!

How do I put this......hmmm. Ah, like this: My friend and business partner just got me a Champion. Now that I've joined the "my sewing machine is older than me" club, I'm gonna need some help with it. It's one of the Champion shoe machines, model CS11464, and while it's not a basket case, it needs some TLC. So, anyone with some info, please chime in. Right now, the motor is kinda flopping around on it's make-do bracket, the belts are missing, and the pressor foot is operated by a piece of baling wire. She's in a little bit of rough shape, but that'll only be temporary :) I've got my rebuild project, for sure, and I'm looking forward to it.

More specifically: can anyone point me towards a manual and perhaps a parts list? I've contacted Campbell to see if they have needles....any other suggestions?

Thanks for the lead, I'll give them a call on Monday sometime.

Spent a while cleaning it up this afternoon, and the biggest issue with it is that it was completely dry. We got oil in all the right places and after a little soak time, it all moves freely. The motor is burnt out, so I'll be replacing it with a DC servo and having a direct drive instead of using the clutch. All I need now is a needle or 10, the correct thread, and directions to thread the dang thing!

So far, I've sent message off to Campbell-Bosworth, and Bob Kovar. Any other suggestions?

After doing research right here on LW, I've determined that it's a version of the Champion 30/ Peerless machine. Campbell has the manual, but no listing for the needles. The search continues.

I have an old Champion narrow throat machine, still sews great, and is used occasionally still. Needles and awls are still available for these machines, as are manual copies. The Champion machines have been obsolete for many, many years. Parts will probably be used if you can find them! Sometimes another old machine can be found to use for parts. If not wore completely out these are still a quiet stitching, great old machine. On the Champion 30 or Peerless models, the real problem is the narrow throat, which makes it only possible to sew on the edge of an item. They are still used by many custom knife makers to make their custom sheaths!

Thanks for the bit of information. I'm aware of the restrictions caused by the throat depth, but that's okay. I'm currently using a Boss for most projects, and have been holding off on belt orders because of it. My use of the Champ will be primarily for belts and strap goods, with the occasional edge stitched sheath or something else where I can keep the body to the left of the needle.

For parts, I may have a streak of luck....the friend who got this old behemoth for me is a machinist. Yesterday, as we cleaned it, we were both just giddy at the amount of engineering displayed in it. He made the request that if parts are needed, to let him try to make it. He doesn't have a full shop, but does have access to one at the school where he learned his trade.

TwinOaks,  did you ever find out about parts availability?  I am trying to decide if one of these machines would be worth investing in to use til I can afford another machine.

2 hours ago, kwc280 said:

TwinOaks,  did you ever find out about parts availability?  I am trying to decide if one of these machines would be worth investing in to use til I can afford another machine.

Old thread from 2010, TwinOaks hasn't been around since August 2017.

Tom

HI, its Steve Bonnett of Cowboy Leather Machines in Australia, I collect old machines and so have also chased up manuals. I have the Champion manuals on computer if you need them... regards