BanjoMan

New Member From Louisiana

Hello. I am a new member from North Louisiana. I have officially been working with leather for about 4 months now, but have always had an interest in anything leather. Ever since I was a kid, I have always loved the smell of a saddle shop or a western store. There is something about the fact that leather is natural resource that has been used for many purposes for thousands of years and can still be used today for just about anything. I now work in law enforcement and, naturally, have an interest and a need for things like leather holsters and accessories. After purchasing several custom holsters from various shops, I decided that I could possibly save some money by learning how to make these things myself. I learned quick that collecting all of the necessary tools for leatherwork can get expensive too, but I also learned that with a little time and patience I could learn to do something that I've also wanted to do. Since my first purchase from Tandy and after completing my first project, I have become addicted. The only issue I have at this point is a lack of one on one instruction. I know that there is a ton of literature available for the beginner, but nothing replaces having someone show you how to do something in person. Luckily, there is youtube and other places you can find videos to help you of you get in a jam. I'm sure I will be asking for help from many of you in the future and hope that I can be of some help to someone as well. I have included a picture of a belt/holster rig with badge holder that I just completed for a Glock 22. Hopefully there will be more to come in the near future. Looking forward to sharing information with you all!post-18515-034579100 1293086017_thumb.jp

Hello BanjoMan and greetings from a Brit living in the Netherlands. I am also new to leather working and still in the process of getting all my tools from the UK and USA. I have also found Youtube most useful and have spent many hours reading through the numerous excellent threads on Leatherworker.net. Your belt/holster is impressive with nice clean stitching. Happy Holidays.

Thanks for the compliments, Chillybean! I know what you mean about getting tools together...I feel like you could do this for years and still not have everything that you need! I guess it just comes with time...good luck getting started! If you're anything like me, then you've probably already figured out that leatherwork is addictive. Merry Christmas!

Hello BanjoMan and greetings from a Brit living in the Netherlands. I am also new to leather working and still in the process of getting all my tools from the UK and USA. I have also found Youtube most useful and have spent many hours reading through the numerous excellent threads on Leatherworker.net. Your belt/holster is impressive with nice clean stitching. Happy Holidays.

welcome and nice work. I see you have picked up on the fact that you will never have enough tools. One can never have too many, it's the bane of the leather addiction. LOL Jordan

BanjoMan, Your gunbelt and badge holder likes the work of an acomplished leather worker rather than a newby. :blahblahblah: GREAT JOB!

Welcome Banjoman, nice work. Where do you get your username, do you play the Banjo? I play Guitar (54 years), Banjo (31 Years), Dobro (11 Years), Bass (Can't remember how long), etc. I make quite a few instrument straps, cradle straps for Banjos, guitar straps, dobro straps, and mandolin straps plus I make leather belt buckles for musicians to prevent scratching the back of Martins, Beard Dobros, or Gibson Banjos. Mandolin players normally hold theirs high enough not to be a problem.

Ken

Ken, as a matter of fact I do. I play banjo, guitar, mandolin, bass, and I mess with the fiddle a littlebut just don't have the extra time to spend on it. In my opinion, bluegrass is the best music in the world! We have a band and we play on a pretty regualar basis. We've been playing for about 8 years now and we do mostly local stuff including churches, festivals, partys, just whatever comes up. I've only been working with leather for a few months and have already developed a love for it. I guess it's kind of like bluegrass music in that it's something that's been around for a long time and not many people do it. If people like us didn't take the time and interest to learn in than it would probably just die out. I think that's what attracts me to stuff like this. I initially wanted to learn how to work with leather in order to make handgun holsters, but I have also thought about instrument straps. Do you have any pictures of straps that you have made? I'd reallly like to give it a try and it would be helpful to see some that someone else who knows what they're doing has made.

Welcome Banjoman, nice work. Where do you get your username, do you play the Banjo? I play Guitar (54 years), Banjo (31 Years), Dobro (11 Years), Bass (Can't remember how long), etc. I make quite a few instrument straps, cradle straps for Banjos, guitar straps, dobro straps, and mandolin straps plus I make leather belt buckles for musicians to prevent scratching the back of Martins, Beard Dobros, or Gibson Banjos. Mandolin players normally hold theirs high enough not to be a problem.

Ken

Hi!

In Baton Rouge. Welcome aboard. Holler if you need anything.

Thanks Sharon! Will do!

Hi!

In Baton Rouge. Welcome aboard. Holler if you need anything.

Hey BanjoMan, welcome to LW. Glad to have you. Steve