Hi guys,

My first post and I have a question. What do most of you use to puch holes for stiches in your rigs?

My tandy leather guy said I should pre-drill them with a drill press because a diamond awl will weaken the leather and the stich will pull thru eventually. I have tried and hate the llok of the drilled holes. So what do you guys use?

I was thinking abut using that 4 prong thing that Tandy sells ?? But will it go through two pieces of 7-8 oz leather?

Any advise would be helpfull

Hi guys,

My first post and I have a question. What do most of you use to puch holes for stiches in your rigs?

My tandy leather guy said I should pre-drill them with a drill press because a diamond awl will weaken the leather and the stich will pull thru eventually. I have tried and hate the llok of the drilled holes. So what do you guys use?

I was thinking abut using that 4 prong thing that Tandy sells ?? But will it go through two pieces of 7-8 oz leather?

He hasn't done much handsewing then. An awl is the best and has been for quite a few hundred years!

Tony.

Well it was weird because he also said a diamond awl wouldn't go thru two pieces of 7-8 oz leather? Can this be right at all?

Also whats the difference between a diamond awl, a scratch awl and any other type of awl?

thanks for the replies.

Hi guys,

I use an awl. Used properly it doesn't weaken the leather. A drill removes leather an awl spreads the leather. It is also much faster if you learn the technique of manipulating the needles and awl at the same time. Always make your awl hole so the flat side of the hole is against the pulling side of the thread and don't pull the thread tight like your trying to garrot a sentry. Snug saddlestitching will stay tight, it doesn't require a come-along to keep it tight. I would suggest Al Stohlman's "Art of sewing leather" as a good overall reference.

Now having said that, there it a place for everything. I may drill holes if going through a really thick pieces of leather like a mug handle. I use an awl for most everything else unless it is something that is an odd sewing job like a soft quiver or tube were I use a lacing punch to prepunch everything.

I use a 1/6th drill bit. It has worked good so far.

1/16 maybe?

Well it was weird because he also said a diamond awl wouldn't go thru two pieces of 7-8 oz leather? Can this be right at all?

Also whats the difference between a diamond awl, a scratch awl and any other type of awl?

thanks for the replies.

Welcome to the coolest place on the internet. The people here are fantastic! If you have a question about anything pertaining to leatherwork (or maybe not pertaining to leatherwork :) ) just ask, and you'll get a reply!

Yes, if your awl is good and sharp you will have no problems going through 2 layers of 8oz. leather. Get a C.S. Osborn awl with the diamond blade and when you get it, sharpen it. Just have to be a little careful to not put too much sideways pressure on them, as the blades are quite thin.

A diamond awl leaves a diamond shaped hole through your leather. A scratch awl is more for marking your leather by scratching lines instead of using a pen or pencil. It has a round blade with a pointy tip, sort of like a really thick needle. Not good for stitching. I also use my scratch awl for roughing up leather to give it some "tooth" before applying cement. They also make really neat holes in your foot if you're careless enough to drop them while wearing flip flops. :)

There's also a sewing awl sold by various places that hold a little spool of waxed thread inside, and makes (I belive) a lock stitch, somewhat like a sewing machine.

I second the recommendation on the book "The Art of Hand Sewing" by Al Stohlman. It will really help you out.

Oh yeah, that four prong "thing" will leave big holes in your leather, so unless you have big thread to fill those holes, I wouldn't do it (Don't ask me how I know).

Edited by Hilly

+1 Hilly

I handstitch using the double stitch method. See Al Stohlman's book for technique. Cut and glue the pattern. Groove the stitch lines. Use a stitch wheel to mark the holes, then punch each hold with a diamond awl (I use 8/9oz leather and it works fine). I use glover's needles to stitch as the eye is small and does not deform and break like the stitchers needles. Be aware, glover's needles are sharp so slicing thread may happen more. Technique is vital...and dull blades :D

If you want easy, I still use the beginner's kit from Tandy. It includes Stohlman's book, the 4 tools (awl, groovers, wheel and scratch awl) and thread. (I can't recall exactly so please refer to the website). Now, I've added individual things here and there but this is a great way to get the tools and info you need to get started.

Good luck and welcome :)

Edited by Shorts

An awl is the way to go, and definitely you need to sharpen it. When using a drill bit, which I've done, you have to match the bit to the thread, otherwise you'll get gaping holes when the stitch is complete. It looks awful. An awl makes a nice, neat little hole that closes up around the thread. Do be sure to keep your fingers out of the way when pushing the awl through. They are quite a bit softer than leather and offer little resistance to the awl tip.

When I need to do some hand work, I use a 1, 3 or 4 rectangle punch that makes it easy compared to diamond shape and don't like drilled at all. It is also very hard to cut your hand open unlike an awl ;)

I made my own punching board, just for hand stitching allows me to punch deep holes without much effort and it is also pretty stable when laying flat on my bench. It is made out of that blue foam insulation and duct tape!PICT0919ppp.JPGPICT0918ppp.JPG

post-5889-1210219988_thumb.jpg

post-5889-1210220015_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the great replies. All very helpful. I am off to by a diamond awl today. But how do you sharpen it?

Also what is a rectangular punch?

I made my own punching board, just for hand stitching allows me to punch deep holes without much effort and it is also pretty stable when laying flat on my bench. It is made out of that blue foam insulation and duct tape!PICT0919ppp.JPGPICT0918ppp.JPG

Somtimes an opening of a knife sheath can get pretty thick, like 5-6 layers of 8/10oz. leather.....I've found that drilling thru such a piece works very well for me. And the stitching looks better in the back of the work too. If I try to use the awl, I have to fight to keep the stitching even semi-even on the back

The diamond hole punch will make holes that are much too big, but they're great for marking where the holes should go. Then use an awl to make the actual holes.

I use the awl exactly the same way as Jeffzilla. The only difference is, I just use a couple of pieces of foam core.

I tried the method in Al's book, where you're juggling two needles and the awl at the same time, and that just did not work smoothly at all for me. Punching the holes all at once while the project is laying on a flat surface works much better.

Kate

I made my own punching board, just for hand stitching allows me to punch deep holes without much effort and it is also pretty stable when laying flat on my bench. It is made out of that blue foam insulation and duct tape!

I bought an awl from Peter Main, and it's blade is much smaller than the awl blades that you get from tandy or osborne. This awl has to be sharp, really sharp, and it will glide through two layers of 7/8 oz leather easy. The diamond is the best way to go, I think it makes the stitch line look distinctive and perferct. Round holes are fine, but don't make the stitches lay correctly without some manipulation.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures of my awls tonight or tomorrow so you get an idea of the size differences.

Here's a picture of drilled holes with the tinyest drill bit and the holes are still to large, but this was multiple layers (I think 3) of 13/15 oz leather.

Edited by Rawhide

I use a VERY small drill bit to get the holes lined up (even front to back) and then an awl to open them up for stitching. It gives you the best of both worlds. Even stitching holes and the look of the awl hole that everyone likes. ;)

oops, heres the pic.

Harness.jpg

post-3307-1211574897_thumb.jpg

I use a VERY small drill bit to get the holes lined up (even front to back) and then an awl to open them up for stitching. It gives you the best of both worlds. Even stitching holes and the look of the awl hole that everyone likes. ;)

That's a good idea....