Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Sheath For Dagger I Made

Finished a sheath today for a dagger I made:

DSC01704.JPG

DSC01706.JPG

Sides are 6-7oz, welt is 12oz, dyed with Fiebing's tan, sealed with SuperShene, edges waxed with brown cobbler's wax. Also buffed the button with the Dremel to make it super shiny. :)

I was thinking earlier today about a knife with an antler handle, . . . lo and behold, . . . here it is.

Now for the $64,000 question: how do you lock the antler onto the handle without a rivet or pin showing? I can see a pin on yours, but on others I've seen I am at a loss as to how to do it.

Thanks, . . . and both are some good looking work as far as I can see.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Epoxy is the miracle of modern knifemaking. 100% of knifemakers that I know of make heavy use of epoxy, even on knives where all the parts fit together with perfect hairline joins. Also, if you see an antler-handled knife with a buttcap, chances are that there's a full-length threaded rattail tang that the butt cap is threaded onto.

Epoxy is the miracle of modern knifemaking. 100% of knifemakers that I know of make heavy use of epoxy, even on knives where all the parts fit together with perfect hairline joins. Also, if you see an antler-handled knife with a buttcap, chances are that there's a full-length threaded rattail tang that the butt cap is threaded onto.

Thanks, hivemind, . . . I'm working on a late 1880's style SAA rig, . . . part of the "Set" is an antler handled knife that would double as a short sword, . . . never made one, . . . like the idea of the buttcap.

Keep up the good work.

May God bless,

Dwight

With longer handles it's harder to find straight antler, at least here in upstate New York where all I have to pick from is whitetail deer antler. Maybe out west they have bigger game. Elkhorn? Moose? I dunno. But if you get longer than about 3" on a whitetail antler, you're going to have to start curving your tang.

OK, yeah, I just did some looking at elk antlers, and.. they're effing HUGE. Make whitetail deer look like doormice.

EDIT: These guys http://www.bigantlers.com/elk.html have some single shed elk antlers for under $50. Any of them will do what you want to do - just make sure you have a long drill bit.

Edited by hivemind

OK, yeah, I just did some looking at elk antlers, and.. they're effing HUGE. Make whitetail deer look like doormice.

EDIT: These guys http://www.bigantlers.com/elk.html have some single shed elk antlers for under $50. Any of them will do what you want to do - just make sure you have a long drill bit.

Nice knife and sheath.... I use elk antler quite a bit in some of my knifes and have used both of the methods of attachment you mentioned... and yes... a long drill bit is required for a large rat-tailed tanged blade if using a good sized elk antler... Here are a couple picks of ones I have done using elk.

100_0961.jpg

100_0958.jpg

100_0772.jpg

-Tac

Hot shit man. That dagger above is only like the fifth knife I've made, I'm still learning the knifemaking part. I also don't forge my own blades, I buy blanks and cheat. :(

Hive... I don't forge my own blades either. Like you, I buy the blade blanks and go from there. Even at that, there is still some skill and technique involved, so I wouldn't call it "Cheating" as much as "Working smarter, not harder".. :spoton: